Honda car care

We have a 2004 pilot with the extended warranty. Can I do oil changes myself and not void the warranty.Also if not is there a problem with having it done at Jiffy lube or some other place. Also if I do it myself I would use synthetic oil. Do I follow Honda's 3000 mile change or what the oil makers recommend. thanks Ivan

Reply to
Ivan & Brenda

'Generally' as long as you have receipts for the oil and filter, you should be okay. However, I would check with the warranty company. They could give you the definitive answer, not this group. As far as synthetic oil is concerned, you can go a little longer than with dino. I use 5k miles as my change interval with my Audi, simply because it's easier to keep track of in my head! On the Odyssey, I am using dino oil and the Miaintenance Minder tells me when to change it.

Dan D '07 Ody EX Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

If you don't follow the recommendation and there is a problem that is oil related, your over-priced insurance policy (extended warranty) won't cover it. You can change the oil yourself or take anywhere you want. Just make sure you save the receipts so you demonstrate that the oil was changed.

You can use any oil that meets the requirements of Honda, which is any name-brand oil, including synthetics.

I would check the manual carefully. The 3,000 mi interval might be for severe service, which you probably don't do. You may be able to do it every 5,000 mi.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Federal laws prohibit dealers from dictating where you have it serviced. As for the interval read your owners manual as car manufacturers haven't had a

3000 mile oil change for a number of years. My 04 Odyssey is 7500 miles in normal service. As long as you follow their recommendations ( Written, not the dealers) the engine will last a long time. I use Mobile 1 but not to extend the change cycle. It is much easier on the engine in cold weather starting and warm up. Dealers and service shops like to pad their bottom lines and destroy the environment with excessive oil changes. Don't get caught up in their hype..

Reply to
Woody

I would never bring a good car to peanut butter lube for anything.

Reply to
Art