Honda cars less dependable than Toyotas?

I'm not sure I would include Ford in that list since Alan Mulally took over there as CEO. He was a big believer of Toyota production methods and quality control when he was the head of Boeing's commercial airlines division. He implemented those methods there before leaving for Ford and that made a lot of difference at Boeing. I expect the same thing at Ford. Of course it takes some time before the old Ford culture changes accordingly.

Reply to
Cameo

For me it was about wash in the dependability category betwen Toyota and Honda cars I kept for a long time. My main beef with Honda is that it is harder to do basic maintenance or repair jobs by a do-it-yourselfer than with Toyota. For instance I can't even do my own oil change on my Accord due to accessibility issues. Also, Honda repairs seem to be a bit more expensive than Toyota's.

I totally agree with that.

I don't know about that but everybody seems to agree about the high road noise in Hondas.

Yes, Hondas seem to be on the top of the list of most stolen cars. That's reflected in the insurance rates.

Same here.

Reply to
Cameo

I know some Fords are supposedly scoring high in reliability, almost on par with Toyota and Honda. But these models (e.g. Fusion) haven't been around long enough to judge true long-term reliability. Wait a few more years and let's see how they hold up then.

Reply to
Eternal Searcher

I had the last model of 280Z before they switched to the 280ZX. I never had a problem with the thermotime switch, though on both my 1976 and

1978 model 280Z there were U-joint failures.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Ford is more popular in Europe than in US.

Reply to
Cameo

I put Koni's on mine -- sure improved the handling. I can see why on U joints given the IRS system used which was quite different from the ZX.

Reply to
tww1491

On Mar 24, 3:21=A0pm, "Cameo" wrote: snip

I bought a 2010 Sienna several months ago and one of the factors was road noise at highway speeds. IMHO, Sienna is limo-like whereas Odyssey is noisy and rougher riding. That's a poor trade-off for marginally better handling in my book. (My Sienna came with simply awful tires. I'll probably put on a set of Michelin HydroEdge tires; that should improve handling a bit.)

Reply to
ACAR

I'd buy any Honda sight unseen. But they do tend to have a lot of road noise. Now that I'm almost deaf anyway, doesn't make much difference.

Wifey has the new 2009 CRV and loves it. Great price and appointments compared to the competitors.

I bought a 2010 Sienna several months ago and one of the factors was road noise at highway speeds. IMHO, Sienna is limo-like whereas Odyssey is noisy and rougher riding. That's a poor trade-off for marginally better handling in my book. (My Sienna came with simply awful tires. I'll probably put on a set of Michelin HydroEdge tires; that should improve handling a bit.)

Reply to
Question Quigley

How does a person like you or me determine something like this?

Reply to
Tony Harding

Huh? What model Honda (ans/or Acura)? I owned an 88' Acura Integra sedan and own an '03 Accord sedan. Have done oil changes on both from the get go (inc. oil filters), also change brake pads, cabin & air filters, etc. Getting harder for me since I'm 68 and have Parkinson's Disease, but I allow longer.

Reply to
Tony Harding

On 3/26/2010 5:39 AM Tony Harding spake these words of knowledge:

I'm not sure I understand the question. He was talking about his own personal experience. You're asking how you make evaluations of your personal experience. If you don't know that, you've got much more serious problems than what car to drive.

RFT!!! Dave Kelsen

Reply to
Dave Kelsen

On 3/26/2010 5:45 AM Tony Harding spake these words of knowledge:

I agree. I have an 03 sedan and an 04 coupe. No problem changing the oil, and I'm a very large person, although only in my 50's.

RFT!!! Dave Kelsen

Reply to
Dave Kelsen

'94 Accord.

Reply to
Cameo

Is your Accord 4 or 6 cylinder? My 1995 accord with a 4 cylinder is not easy at all on replacing the oil filter, but I have managed it twice.

By comparison, the filter on the 1994 Camry is on the front of the engine with space all around it. That is the easiest car oil filter I have accessed during my lifetime.

Reply to
pws

Four cylinders, and the oil filter is sqeezed in the back at the firewall. I think it can only be accessed from below.

Reply to
Cameo

I've found a more detailed report on that survey and that indicates long term reliability, after 3 years of ownership. Here is the link:

Reply to
Cameo

How does one decide on the "safest" car ever, the driver is such a

*huge* variable? 1 fewer crash / 100,000 passenger miles, ...? OP did say "safest car he ever drove" and I assume he didn't crash them to gather safety data.
Reply to
Tony Harding

Thanks, Dave, big guy here, too, ... that's why God made hydraulic jacks which lift the car well off the ground. Also why I pull the R/F wheel to change the oil & filter - more room. After some experience I change the oil filter from a sitting position.

:)

Reply to
Tony Harding

Is that noticeably different? I have no experience with the 199x models.

Reply to
Tony Harding

On 3/27/2010 6:20 AM Tony Harding spake these words of knowledge:

Reply to
Dave Kelsen