honda catalytic converter

My engine light has been on for months. I have taken the car in several times. Honda has fixed things several times. The light always comes back on after a
day or couple of hours. My 2000 Honda Ody. is at the shop again now they say it is the catalytic converter. Actually they have told me that it could be that from the start, but because of cost we tried some other things it might be. Anyway, my question is what happens to my car if it is not fixed. Cars did not use to have them. I know it is for pollution control. But does it have any effect on the car its self?
lynn wrote:

the first question is, why can't these guys fix it??? you need to find a different shop that knows what they're doing!!!
to answer the question, the car will still run, but if you're in the habit of driving about with the light on, you're at significant risk of damaging something expensive if another fault code develops because you're already ignoring the fault indicator. just get an aftermarket catalyst and deal with the problem properly.
They can't fix it because the poster is telling them what they can and can't do. The shop should just send him on his way if he won't let them apply their knowledge and fix it. Odysseys have a lot of weak spots.Check out the threads at www.odyclub.com . The exposure is being caught in a spot EPA inspection or his area starts inspections. How many miles on the van? Are the techs analyzing with an OBDII tester or just pulling the codes and throwing parts at it. Has the EGR recall been performed. How long was it run with the check engine light on before it was checked? ERG, O2@ problems can destroy a cat in short time.

The short answer is "no" - your car will do just fine without the catalytic converter working at peak efficiency. In fact, the emissions are probably not much greater than they were before the light came on.
The long answer involves knowing what "codes" are being seen by the shop when they read them. Although the codes are specific, they aren't always clear and don't often point right to the specific problem... that's why the shop has danced around things like this. In fact, replacing the catalytic converter may not be the solution, and that's a good reason for them to evade it for so long. If you can find out what the codes are (they will be in the form of a "P" followed by 4 digits, like "P0452") and relate them here, we can confuse you more <8^P
There are two downsides I can think of in having the light on, other than the distraction. There is a small risk that another problem that would normally turn on the light will now be missed, and I don't believe you can legally sell a car in the US with the "check engine" light on (not sure about that.)
Mike
Thank you so much for your help. I will be asking these questions. you seemed very knowledgable and you were most helpful. Thank you.