Honda Civic 01-03 air cleaner case cracked

BEWARE!!!! Of your civic 01-03 air cleaner case. When changing an air filter, the air cleaner case might cracked. That what happen to my Civic 01 when the dealer changed it. The Dealer aware of this problem, but if
your warranty is expired. Then you have to pay for a new air cleaner case. Even though, on September 16,2003, HONDA issued a SERVICE BULLETIN 03-061 on it. So people with Civic 01-03 with warranty, Check your Air cleaner case now!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You mean the little plastic things that hold the filters?
01honda wrote:

I was just coming in here to ask about that. Tried removing the screws on my 2003 EX and all but two cracked the housing. DAMN! That sucks. Car isn't covered under warranty either. How much does a replacement cost? My brother-in-law guessed $200. However the cover is still stuck (tight as ever it seems), any significant risk of getting dirt in there while I try to arrange for repairs?
Thanks!
-- gorf
01honda wrote:

under warranty and the warranty PDF on the owner's site suggests that the housing is covered as long as it was broken under normal use ("not abused"). I'm hoping the Honda dealer doesn't give me crap on that, it's not like I applied that much pressure before I heard a light pop (which I later found was the plastic cracking).
You definitely helped out!
-- gorf
gorf wrote:

Arrr... Honda service tech said he hadn't seen Honda honoring the warranty on that part. Luckily, the case was about $35 and labor costs $40-$60. Tech said it was likely over tightened with a power torque device the last time it was removed. Last service was in April and they did pull the air filter out to show me it was dirty. Good luck in my getting them to cover the costs though (I had a hard enough time getting them to work on the hose they replaced). The guy at the counter of the service place that messed up had the nerve to tell me I was making up the replacement until I had him show me the monitor and I pointed out the row that said "tranny hose replacement". Last time I go to that service chain, I'd mention the name but I don't want to mess with Libel.