Honda Civic 2006 Reel

My Civic was producing a squeeking noise from behind the steering wheel. Since it is still covered by warrenty, I brought it in to the dealer to look over. They told me that there was a reel behind the steering wheel that was unwinding cable when it shoudn't have. They replaced the reel and perhaps the cable. No more noise. Steering is fine.

Would someone explain what this reel and cable are about? Thank you in advance.

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

oakparker

It is reel of ribbon cable for the airbag and controls on the steering wheel. It allows the steering wheel make a few complete revolutions without wires getting to tight, loose, or twisted while making perfect contact. There are no moving contact points like brushes on the armature of an electric motor.

It's not a very exact explanation but probably enough for you to get the idea. Hope it helps!

Reply to
NoMoreRGS

Maintains electrical contact between switches/buttons on the steering wheel (horn, radio controls, cruise control, etc.) and their respective devices. Remember, the steering wheel spins so there is a reel with very flexible wire wrapped around it. It's called the cable reel.

Reply to
Pangloss

Thank you all.

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

oakparker

Pictures are at

if you want to see it.

'Curly'