Honda Civic

A friend of my son has a Honda Civic for sale. 2000 Honda Civic or 1999 I can't remember which it is. The car has a manual transmission in it. I am
disabled I cannot drive a manual transmission. I know how to drive one because years ago I had a car with one.
My question is The car was offered for $1,300.00 My son wants to pull the manual transmission out of it and put a automatic transmission in. How complicated is this? Is it more work and money to switch this? Is it even worth the trouble? I asked my son the same questions. He claims its a piece of cake. I know he is not car savvy. I just need to know if someone is telling him right. Or if someone is just out to make $1,300.00 and could care less about the buyer?
Damn, a 1999 or 2000 for $1,300 is a complete steal, what is wrong with the car in the first place? I paid $2000 and I have a 1993 Civic.
Anyways, your question is if he should remove the stick, and change it to an automatic. Well, if your son really wants the civic, he is much better off keeping it a manual. Trust me, i always drove automatic, and then bought a stick for the first time, and knew nothing about it, and now I am in love. I will never buy another automatic as long as I live... at least I hope...
If he changes out the transmission, it will cost around $3,000 or so and I honestly think it would be a huge mistake. If you can get the car for $1,300 you got the best deal in the world, and why take the chance of ruining it?
How old is your son anyways? (I am 24), and if he is a teenager, he will enjoy the manual so much more, and in the long run manuals suck less gas, and cost less to fix.
mopa wrote: : Damn, a 1999 or 2000 for $1,300 is a complete steal, what is wrong : with the car in the first place? I paid $2000 and I have a 1993 Civic. : : Anyways, your question is if he should remove the stick, and change it : to an automatic. Well, if your son really wants the civic, he is much : better off keeping it a manual. Trust me, i always drove automatic, : and then bought a stick for the first time, and knew nothing about : it, and now I am in love. I will never buy another automatic as long : as I live... at least I hope... : : If he changes out the transmission, it will cost around $3,000 or so : and I honestly think it would be a huge mistake. If you can get the : car for $1,300 you got the best deal in the world, and why take the : chance of ruining it? : : How old is your son anyways? (I am 24), and if he is a teenager, he : will enjoy the manual so much more, and in the long run manuals suck : less gas, and cost less to fix.
He is the same age as you. It will cost 100.00 for the person putting it in and what ever the cost of the transmission. he is doing this for me not himself. I am disabled. Some days I am driving one handed so as you can see, it has to be automatic. I don't know if anything is wrong with this car. He is the one buying it. I will give him a call later and get the specs on it. It is sitting in someones yard with a for sale sign on it.

a '99-'00 Civic will sell for MUCH more than that unless it's only being sold as a parts car for some reason.
I'd imagine switching from manual to automatic will cost more than it's worth.

think about it. I'm not sure, but I believe the wiring harness and the ECU are different between the two. Besides the transmission, it requires a controller computer. The radiator has to be changed because the existing one does not have a heat exchanger for the auto transmission fluid - you get the idea. Once the manual transmission comes out, the odds of it ever getting back on the road again are small.
If the car really is a great deal at $1300 (why is it so low, anyway?) it would make far more sense to buy then resell it and use any profit toward a car that already has an automatic transmission. Personally, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Something's not right.
Mike
Michael Pardee wrote:
: :: A friend of my son has a Honda Civic for sale. 2000 Honda Civic or :: 1999 I can't remember which it is. The car has a manual :: transmission in it. I am :: disabled I cannot drive a manual transmission. I know how to drive :: one because years ago I had a car with one. :: :: My question is The car was offered for $1,300.00 My son wants to :: pull the manual transmission out of it and put a automatic :: transmission in. How complicated is this? Is it more work and :: money to switch this? Is it even :: worth the trouble? I asked my son the same questions. He claims :: its a piece of cake. I know he is not car savvy. I just need to :: know if someone :: is telling him right. Or if someone is just out to make $1,300.00 :: and could :: care less about the buyer? :: :: : It is a *very big* deal to change from a manual to an automatic - : don't even think about it. I'm not sure, but I believe the wiring : harness and the ECU are different between the two. Besides the : transmission, it requires a controller computer. The radiator has to : be changed because the existing one does not have a heat exchanger : for the auto transmission fluid - you get the idea. Once the manual : transmission comes out, the odds of it ever getting back on the road : again are small. : : If the car really is a great deal at $1300 (why is it so low, : anyway?) it would make far more sense to buy then resell it and use : any profit toward a car that already has an automatic transmission. : Personally, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Something's not : right. : : Mike
This is what I thought Mike. Thank you. ...and thanks goes out to everyone else too.
Michael Pardee wrote: <snip> >Personally, I wouldn't touch

maybe, but for only $1300, there's plenty of room to fix an awful lot of "not right". but i agree with your general position - it's /way/ too much of a deal to convert. just buy a car that's already got the auto.

(my instincts are telling me the head is warped or crashed and I wouldn't be surprised to find it had been run on tap water in the cooling system), but buying a matching parts car that had been wrecked could make it worthwhile.
Of course, that's for gearheads like us. For somebody wanting to buy a car to actually *drive* sometime soon, I doubt $1300 is the price we would expect to pay.
Mike

The best solution is to find a car with an automatic. You'll be far better off in the long run if you need a car with an automatic transmission, to but one that came with an automatic initially.
--
elbert.clarke@**us.army.mil
remove the ** to email