Honda civic 97 O2 sensor problem

Hi all,
I have a Honda civic 97. The check engine light came on last week. Went to the nearest autoshop and was told the O2 sensor #2 not working.
I called the local Honda dealer and they said it might still be under warrenty. Does anyone know how to check if this part is still under warrenty?
Some people told me the O2 sensor is not that important and I don't have to repair it. Is that true?
That you for your help.
--
Zita
âś–

Reset the MIL and see if it comes back. Sometimes these are intermittent failures and do not recur for some time.

The dealer will know. All they need is your VIN number. Is the O2 sensor original or a replacement? If a replacement, the selling dealer is the only one who will know, and they'll know by checking past invoices to you.

Yup. Until you fail an emissions test or fry your $1,000 catalytic converter.
--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
âś–
o2 sensor 2's job is to report if the catilic converter and the emissions system is doing it's job. Not fixing it will give you a continuous light, butt' no other harm. BUT how will you if the car doesn't turn on the light for O2 sensor 1? It's job is to tune the injectors to the correct pulse width for the car to run correctly. not plug catalic converters and such. Get the light turned off and if it comes back on replace the sensor.
--
Stephen W. Hansen
ASE Certified Master Automobile Technician

This is correct. I missed the part in the OP's post where he's talkng about the DOWNSTREAM O2 sensor.
In many places you will fail an emissions test if trouble codes are stored, even if the MIL is off.