Honda civic cooling system?????

Page 2 of 2

"Hey, do you have a 3/4 inch socket? " "No, the closest we have would be a 0.75"

aren't the engine coolant temp sensor(ECT) and the temp gauge sensor("sending unit") separate? the ECT feeds the ECU,and the temp gauge sensor feeds the gauge directly. Also,the ECT is a OFF/ON switch,and the temp sensor is a thermistor.
that's how it shows in my Haynes manual for Integra and 96-00 Civic.
According to that manual,the temp gauge sending unit has a single wire and is next to the distributor,the ECT is on the thermostat housing,has a 2- wire conector
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Where is my water pump located?

underneath the timing belt cover.(the WP is driven by the timing belt) pix shows it being next to the alternator.
a good time to replace the timing belt,too.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Cessi via CarKB.com wrote:

why? unless there's something /seriously/ wrong, water pump won't affect the temp shown on the gauge. there are three water temp sensors - one for the ecu, one for the gauge, and one for the radiator fan switch. the one you want is the single wire doo-dad under the distributor. check for good electrical connection, then test the gauge. at this stage, the honda manual from helminc.com is going to be a good investment for you as well.
Cessi wrote: <SNIP>

If the system would never turn on the fan, and the gauuge always shows COLD, it sounds like you've always had AIR in the system since the rad was repaired. The reservoir has to be kept at MAX (per the owner's manual) whenever you've had work done on the cooling system. Yes, you'll blow up (old) hoses if the system is full of air and the thermostat can't open if it's not immersed in hot water.
If it was mine, I'd top up the rad _and reservoir_ DAILY and see how long it takes to stop 'sipping' coolant. As the air is displaced the coolant level drops overnight.
'Curly'