Honda Civic Fuel Mileage

A friend recently purchased a new Honda Civic coupe (not the SI) with an automatic transmission and is getting only 31 mpg. The car has 7000 miles so should be providing closer to the advertised 40 mpg. The car is a commuter car that travels about 70 miles per day on the freeway.
Are other owners of the new Civic getting better gasoline mileage?
Thanks,
- Russ in Santa Barbara
"rll" snipped-for-privacy@westmont.edu wrote in message

Are other owners of the new Civic getting better gasoline mileage?
Perhaps your friend's foot is heavier than he's letting on to you <g>.
I get better highway mileage with my 2001 V6 Accord, than he's getting now.
Hi, With 2,000 miles on my Civic I'm up to 32 mpg. Most of driving is in the hills of Pittsburgh with the tach spending a lot of time around 3,000 rpm. As far as the 40 mpg that's the fed's take on the car. It is not indicative of real world driving.
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>A friend recently purchased a new Honda Civic coupe (not the SI) with an automatic transmission and is getting only 31 mpg.&nbsp; The car has 7000 miles so should be providing closer to the advertised 40 mpg.&nbsp; The car is a commuter car that travels about 70 miles per day on the freeway.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Are other owners of the new Civic getting better gasoline mileage?</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Thanks,</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>&nbsp;- Russ in Santa Barbara</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Wow! I have a 98 HX and I think it's been to 3000 less than 15 times.
3,000 is something like 75 - 80 mph for me. I admit to extreme fuel-economy driving, but I get about 54 mpg in summer.
This tank I'm up to 604 miles and will probably fill up tomorrow or Friday.
Richard Kuroski wrote:

rll wrote:

With about 3200 on my 06 Sedan, I'm now getting 35 - 37 overall.
I have 800 miles on my new Civic and the first tank full that was mostly city driving I had 30 mpg. The 2nd tank of mixed driving was 34 mpg.
[...]

Civic Sedan, 5 speed. About 350 miles so far, mixed highway and city.
34 mpg on my first tank.
--Nan
2002 Honda Civic DX Typically 70% highway/30% town (Rarely travel to a city) Winter average ~ 36 mpg; Summer average ~ 42 mpg

--

Moodyblu2

I've never received over 34 mpg in my 04 hybrid civic - really pathetic, especially the dealer's attitude to it ie: "well, what mileage would you expect anyway" == if they advertise 48 I would expect at least 40
(80% city, 20% freeway)