Honda Civic LX - no better MPG with ECON on?

My new 2013 Honda Civic LX has the ECON button on it. I have had the car 2 months. I recently turned on the ECON button and I am getting less MPG than I got with the ECON button off. Why am I not getting better MPG with the ECON button on?

Reply to
IMUNQUE

From what I recall the econ button doesn't do much (on my 2013 Accord) other than reduce AC draw if you step hard on the accelerator. I've driven my new Accord with Econ mode button on from day 1. If your mileage dropped, you need a longer driving sample. I don't know that it does a lot, but the mileage should not drop.

Reply to
Jim

Funny y'all should mention that, I've been doing the same freeway commute for a month now and getting great mileage in a new Accord,

36mpg to 40mpg on a great day. So just this last Tuesday I though, hey let's try the Econ button!

And yeah, it seemed to *drop* mileage by a couple.

I've tried the Econ button before and thought it usually gave me another one or two mpg, highway or city, at a slight decrease in responsiveness and yes dimmer dashboard lighting, those wizards at Honda saving electrons everywhere they can.

Anyway, I now suspect that there are conditions where the Econ button does not deliver, mostly those conditions in which you already get the best possible mileage out of standard and there's just no more to squeeze.

J.

Reply to
JRStern

I have the same vehicle and I have not seen a decrease in mileage with the Econ mode on; in fact, I do see a good 5 MPG-or-so increase on trips with Econ enabled.

I don't usually use Econ for "city" driving -- anything where there would be frequent stop & go conditions, such as traffic lights or traffic backups -- but when I can turn on the cruise control and enable Econ I do see some benefit.

Reply to
Steve Crow