Honda civic Rust control

I scraped the side of my civic last summer on a wall. Then it caught rust. I scrapped it off with sand paper and put touch paint all over. Now after 4 months, the rust is back from under the touch paint with a vengence!!

Does anyone have any "do it yourself" ideas to my rust control? I know i cannot get rid of it..Just looking for effective ideas to control.

thanks kindly!

Reply to
Latitude Wizard

"Latitude Wizard" wrote in news:Wmlae.10951$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

First you needed to neutralize or sand off ALL that rust (Naval Jelly or other), keping in mind that rust usually extends at least 1/16" under the "good" paint. Then you needed to use zinc-rich primer under the new paint.

Failure to do these things is why your rust came back.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

You could again scrape the paint, sand down the rust, paint it with POR15 (a rust inhibitor/converter), sand it, prime it and repaint it. POR15 is not cheap, but it all you have to do it is a small spot, it won't break a bank.

Remco

Reply to
remco

One more note: POR15 is a really hard finish paint you you'll want to get it as smooth as possible on the first try. Sanding it is hard work.

Reply to
remco