Honda CRV

My wife is detemined to buy a Honda CRV. I am opposed.

Can anybody out there give me some ammunition to discourage her???

Reply to
Wayne Brown

Try a Toyota group...

Reply to
Larry in AZ

The CRV is an absolutely great car. What's so bad about it?

P.S. You might not want to post this question to a Honda group. Generally, most Honda group members will support Honda cars (with the slight exception of the Passport).

Reply to
Robert

then get a divorce. if your communication is so poor that you have to ask questions like that here, it's the best thing for both of you.

no, you have to buy it yourself, buddy. walmart sells it.

Reply to
jim beam

--------------------------------------

Why are you opposed? Don't think she deserves to feel safe when she's driving by herself? Got a problem with a vehicle that has the best resale value around?

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

Not much point in asking the question in a group where people don't drive the car.

Reply to
Wayne Brown

Is she under the impression that the CRV is harder to roll over in a crash than an Accord? Does she think the car is better in a side impact? Does she think it stops better? Does she like to be up high where she can see over the other cars? Does she think the CRV holds more stuff than a four door Accord? Or does she think the CRV is a nicer looking vehicle? bob

Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob

H m m m. Provides no information, then insults us.

Get her a used Hyundai Pony.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

Two years ago, I bot a 2005 CR-V Special Edition (top o' the line) to have as a 3rd family vehicle that my then 15 year old daughter would, shortly, drive primarily. My thinking was that eventually I'd give her that car as a junior or senior in college. My wife drives a Mercury Mountaineer (Explorer) and I drive a luxury car. So the CR-V also serves as my "daily runner" when I don't want my "good" car out. Ford Escape/Mercury Mariner were also on my list but I asked myself this one question: Which vehicle, in 5,6 7 years from now, will will have the best odds against generating "Dad, my car is making this noise/dummy light is on/won't run/the dealer says needs a $2000 repair". While I knew intuitively that Honda was the answer, a timely article said that an 8 year old Honda had fewer defects than a 3 year old Ford. Case closed.

Well, the 2005 was a great vehicle. Got 20MPG in Pittsburgh hills, versus 13 on the Mountaineer. I felt that if I was going to feed a 3rd vehicle, I wanted AWD...this is PITTSBURGH. But I did not want another piggie like the Mountaineer. Yet I still wanted something big(ish) and safe enough so that when my affluent suburban neighbor's SUBURBAN/ESCALADE run into my CR-V, we would stand a chance. The side curtain air bags and stability control give me SOME confidence in this respect. I certainly would NOT put myself or my kid into anything smaller, at least not as long as the Jones are driving Suburbans and Hummers.

Well, I took the CR-V in for an oil change and saw the 2007 model. One thing led to another and I traded. (Honda resale value on the old vehicle, by the way, was the deal-clenching factor....our Mountaineer was worth about half in just 2 years...the 2005 CR-V was worth MUCH more. If you keep them forever as per my original plan, it doesn't matter but if you are a 2-4 year holder than resale actually makes the higher upfront priced Honda/Toyota cheaper to own for that period than the competition that depreciates much faster).

The 2007 rides like a "real car". The 2005 was OK, but you could feel the bumps like a "small car". For $26,000 (top 'o the line EX-L) you get about

85% of a Lexus ES330 for only 60% of the cost. Honda's got a MAJOR winner here. The current plan is, again, for my kid to get this vehicle in a few years OR my wife might take it over when my daughter goes to college and our Mountaineer will be 6-7 years old and we'll get our daughter something else (or another CR-V) when the time comes. My point is that the 2005 was not "good enough" to be my wife's "primary" vehicle...it was a great "3rd vehicle". But the 2007 reaches "primary vehicle status". The ride is SO much improved. Same great gas mileage too.

Did I answer your question?

Reply to
D.D. Pallmer

Your point about the primary vehicle is interesting. This would be our family's primary vehicle and since we cannot afford "new" we would probably end up with a 2004 or 2005 model.

Perhaps your point will push her into another Accord.

Thanx.

Reply to
Wayne Brown

Well, don't get me wrong. The '05 CR-V was a great vehicle. MANY would consider it a "primary" vehicle. I admit to being spoiled. By my point was that even "being spoiled", the '07 rises to "primary" status FOR ME.

If I were you, I'd "stretch" for the '07. You can drive it 10-15 years. A

2-3 year old one will last 8-12 more years, but will cost close to a new one. Even if you have to finance over a longer period of time, you're better off in the latest model. If you amortize the additional cost of the new vehicle (versus an '04-'05) over all those years, the difference is negligible. The value curve favors the brand spankin' new '07. THAT'S WHY I TRADED IN MY '05 FOR THE '07!

Reply to
D.D. Pallmer

We've got on '05 CR-V SE. Best car, by far, that I've ever owned. We're going to go down to one vehicle, and the CR-V can't do what we want, so it's got to go, but I'll sure miss it.

bb

Reply to
bb

Seems like the CR-V is a good way to go. Why are you opposed.

Lots of happy owners on CR-V Owners Club from what I can see too.

Reply to
garray

I am just an ornery old man who spends a lot of time being annoyed by pick-up trucks and SUVS that block my view when I am driving, and, as far as I am concerned, present a hazard in parking lots. One more SUV on the road would not be something I am in favour of. Of course, the reverse is also true; if everyone drove SUVs and pick-up trucks, that would also eliminate the problem.

We are on our 2nd Accord and I am trying to convince her to get another one.

Reply to
Wayne Brown