Honda "Drive by Wire" question... what if the power goes out?

Page 2 of 8

The Civic drive by wire system is just for the throttle. If it fails, you'll just coast to a stop. You'll be able to steer just like most other cars can when the engine dies.
Ed
"C. E. White" wrote:

So it is a misapplication of the drive-by-wire term to electronic throttle control. Presumably something the marketing folks dreamed up.
Pete C.

They acutally call it "Drive-by-Wire Throttle SystemT"
Steve
Steve Mackie wrote:

Sure sounds like the marketing department drivel to me. The engineers were probably cringing.
Pete C.
Perhaps teh seat cushions are floatation devices in these cars! ;-)
David E. Powell wrote:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Tuesday night we had some interesting weather.
Real heavy lightening.
A friend was comming back from Hazard on the Mt. Parkway and had a nearby lightening strike. His engine car died and he was able to pull offto the side safely.
It wouldn't restart. The engine wouldn't even crank.The EMP from the nearby lightning strike killed the ECM, igniton system, alternator diodes and regulator, fuel pump and the fancy after market radio/sound
system. It was a 2003 Civic.
I don't want to think what would happen if it was a "die by wire" system.
Terry
r2000swler wrote:

A friend of mine had a similar incident with her 2003 Hyundai Accent. Lightning struck the car and damaged the computer module and stereo
I am skeptical of electronics in place of mechanicals for transmissions, throttle, etc. Electronics and software do not always equate into greater reliability. I am doing whatever I can to keep my '93 Accord going forever. At least my car is a mostly stripped down base model with a minimum of electronics.

Which is why boats still have points.

Well the newest 4 stroke outboard I bought does not have points. But then neither did the two stroke it replaced. And if you want reliability in a boat, a diesel seems like the way to go.
Ed
if you want reliability in a

I think this is pretty much true... Our survival craft in the North Sea had diesel engines in the early days. 'In theory' they would start without batteries, no ignition to degrade, etc.
I see no real need for the system described here as drive by wire. It would seem to add a layer of complexity, and therefore potential failure, without offering any obvious advantage.

Where do you people come up with this crap!? Twenty-five years ago, me and my buddies spent 5 hours stranded in the middle of a huge lake because the electronic ignition on the state-of-the-art motor took a digital dump.
nb
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Do you wear seat belts or do you worry about being trapped in your vehicle in the 0.0001% of the time that's an issue?
Sparky Spartacus wrote:

Bad comparison, seat belts do not have the ability to cause accidents like a failing drive-by-wire or ABS system or airbag can.
Pete C.
David E. Powell wrote:

Only drive by wire tech I can find on the Honda is a Throttle System. I would hope that if there is a loss of power that the system supplies a small throttle input until you pull off the road and shut the car down???
Theodrake wrote:
<snip>

I am slightly puzzled why everyone seems to assume "drive by wire" has anything at all to do with the steering.
Hugo Schmeisser wrote:

That's because of the car shows on TV. They show the prototype drive by wire vehicles as basic body modules you can just plug into one platform. You know, drive the sports body for the week and drop the SUV body on for the weekend type trip...
Mike 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Aug./05 http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id !20343242 (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)
Mike Romain wrote:

No, it's because fly-by-wire technology has been around for quite a while and is relatively well known in aircraft. The misapplication of the term drive-by-wire to electronic throttle control which has been around in the heavy diesel world but not hyped as "drive-by-wire" confuses people.
Pete C.

It's old news in cars, too. I recall being completely amazed upon reading the Helm manual for my girlfriend's 2 yr old '87 Cad De Ville and learning I could access and read and manually manipulate all the car's control voltages from the environmental control display. And sure enough, the throttle valve opening was a 0-10 volt range from all the way closed to all the way open. My first look at the wide world of car computers! Quite the revelation for me at the time.
nb
notbob wrote:

I think you're referring to the Throttle Position Sensor, a.k.a. TPS, not electronic throttle. Engine computers have had sensors to monitor throttle position for years, at least since the advent of fuel injection. This has nothing to do with electronic throttle control where the computer actually has control of the throttle position.
Pete C.

I stand corrected. Thanks for clearing that up. :)
nb