Honda "Drive by Wire" question... what if the power goes out?

Page 3 of 8  
notbob wrote:

Zero to five volts.
Toyota MDT in MO
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Likely because "driving" involves/requires steering as well as throttle. Calling something "drive-by-wire" would imply that all systems required/necessary in order to "drive" (i.e. brakes, throttle, steering) are *all* involved in the "drive-by-wire" system. Honda used a very poor description of the "feature".
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Uh huh. Please name a single car with such steering. One example should be enough.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

The Automatomobile, which is featured in several Isaac Asimov stories. --scott
--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Fiction doesn't count as an example. If you haven't a single real world example, perhaps it's time to put your strawman argument away.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Scott Dorsey wrote:

I remember that one - and if you put in a nickel it gives you a piece of pie, too.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
AZ Nomad wrote:

OK. A couple months back, one of the major news networks had a "Car of the future" thing talking about future concepts, and one of them was a fully fuel cell car, which had adaptable body/interior features, very spacious interior (It looked like it skimped on safety to do so, being a prototype, and might have been intended for a world where everything went 20-30 mph, though it was underprotected even so IMO) So there are such projects out there, and aircraft have done this for some years.
Long story short, it had a full steer by wire/drive by wire system that the demonstrator gushed over. I don't like the idea. "Autodrive" cars they are working on aren't my thing either.
When the Honda salesperson said "No mechanical, it is all drive by wire" I figured it was like the one I had seen on TV,and the salesperson basically seemed to agree when I asked. So since the dealership person was saying it I figured I would ask on here, because I have had experience with a car losing power at speed and it is not fun, even with residual steering left after power steering fails, With drive by wire it could be worse.
If the sales line the dealers are using is wrong, thank you for informing me. I wish Honda would, because I am going on their word here.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
AZ Nomad wrote:

OK. A couple months back, one of the major news networks had a "Car of the future" thing talking about future concepts, and one of them was a fully fuel cell car, which had adaptable body/interior features, very spacious interior (It looked like it skimped on safety to do so, being a prototype, and might have been intended for a world where everything went 20-30 mph, though it was underprotected even so IMO) So there are such projects out there, and aircraft have done this for some years.
Long story short, it had a full steer by wire/drive by wire system that
the demonstrator gushed over. I don't like the idea. "Autodrive" cars they are working on aren't my thing either.
When the Honda salesperson said "No mechanical, it's drive by wire" I figured it was like the one I had seen on TV,and the salesperson basically seemed to agree from the jist of the conversation. So since the dealership person was saying it I figured I would ask on here, because I have had experience with a car losing power at speed and it is not fun, even with residual steering left after power steering fails, With drive by wire it could be worse.
So, from the details I had heard, this is what I felt it was; a true drive by wire, which I would be wary of due to my experience.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload


What does naming any car with drive by wire system have anything to do with Honda's description of the "feature" as it relates to their implementation?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

It isn't a steering by wire system. The insane rant (which I notice you snipped) was about steering by wire, something which doesn't exist.
Do try to follow the thread. Behaving like you have a damaged short term memory isn't all that cool.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

So when you "drive" you don't steer as part of the process?

Perhaps true, but irrellivant. The name chosen implies that it does exist for those customers that may not be up on technology (or even understand what technology is available).

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Check out the chevy malibu it is drive by wire steering
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

No it's not. It has an electric power steering, but that just replaces the ususal hydraulic power steering. The steering wheel is still physically connected to the steering mechanism.
Steer-by-wire would imply *no* physical connection between the steering wheel and the wheels, i.e., a computer would measure the position of the steering wheel and command a hydraulic or electric actuator that would then turn the wheels. AFAIK no such car exists on the market today precisely because and electrical failure would leave you with absolutely no control over the vehicle <shudder>.
--
/"\ Jan Kalin (male, preferred languages: Slovene, English)
\ / http://charm.zag.si/eng /, email: "name dot surname AT zag dot si"
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

The chevy malibu doesn't use drive by wire steering. It is merely electricaly assisted mechanical steering. http://www.delphi.com/pdf/ppd/chsteer/is_col_assist.pdf
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Hugo Schmeisser wrote:

Because "drive by wire" means everything like throttle, brakes, steering, etc. Honda marketing is misleading people.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Bucky wrote:

And I thought GM and Crapsler were bad for misleading advertising.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
David E. Powell wrote:

The "drive by wire" refers to throttle butterfly control, not the steering.
The usual connection between throttle and accelerator pedal is accomplished with a cable firmly affixed between the two. In the new "drive by wire" setup, the computer determines how to operate the throttle butterfly depending on several factors, only one of which is your foot.
If your car dies, it will feel no different from what you're used to. Luckily, the steering still consists of solid metal connections.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 12:06:31 -0600, "Hugo Schmeisser"

Thank you for actually answering OP's question!
J.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
JXStern wrote:

It's a dirty job, but somebody had to do it...
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Hugo Schmeisser wrote:

Thanks :)
Dave
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.