Honda drive train life expectancy

My daughter's new FIT Sport (auto trans) is the family's first Honda. It drives and feels like a small Mercedes, and we agree with the favorable articles regarding build quality and features. However, we've heard unlikely stories about engine-trans longevity, and wonder if there's any repository of such information.

How long should such a drive train last assuming proper maintenance, etc?

Thanks.

Reply to
Ike

Ike wrote in news:UvCRg.6737$%i.2457 @tornado.socal.rr.com:

Half a million miles, easy. Given the right kind of driving that is.

For most people, you can expect about 300K max.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I'm from an era when a valve job was necessary after 40k, and at 80k or so the engine was shot. My 1949 Chevy followed that profile, but of course gas was 24c/gallon and Earl Scheib would Paint Any Car for $29.95!

Reply to
Ike

Boy, I don't miss those days! I still hear the Merle Haggard song on the radio, bemoaning the days when "a Ford and a Chevy still last 10 years like it should..."

Most modern cars will give 200K-300K miles, with the possible exception of some of the domestic designs. I had a Nissan that had fatal electrical problems at 150K miles and an '84 Dodge that was completely used up at 95K miles, but other than that 200K is sort of my baseline. I bought my first Volvo with 190K miles on the odometer, although I had to rebuild the engine because it had been torn up by detonation. My current Volvo turned 240K recently, but my daughter's '93 Accord (bought at 163K miles) is gaining on it fast. My son bought a '94 Acura at 130K miles last year, and I just bought a 2002 Toyota Prius with 103K miles on it. My wife's 2002 Prius is the baby of the family at nearly 65K miles.

I agree that 300K is about the limit for mainstream driving characteristics.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Well, my 92 Civic Si is at 150K miles and still on the original clutch.

Maintain it, fix things that break, and go on with your life. A Honda is genuinely an appliance. A pleasant one, in that it's not breaking the bank.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nntp1.usenetserver.com:

Got 255,763 miles out of my original clutch. And the only reason it needed to be replaced that soon had to do with the grease on the input shaft splines. Had that not been a problem, my mechanic thinks I might have got another 5 or 10K before both faces got down to the rivets.

I currently have 274,791 miles on my '91 'Teg. Oil consumption at the moment is about 1,600 miles per US quart. After a huge amount of investigation, research (and some expenditure), I have come to the conclusion that my short engine lifespan is due to undergearing. The Integra was marketed as a "sporty" car, and Honda geared it low for spirited acceleration.

I spend about 85-90% of my driving on the highway at speeds between 75 and 85 mph, common velocities in my area. This means my little mill is buzzing along at around 4,000rpm most of the time, with the attendant high piston speeds those revs entail. The rings don't last very well under such stress, it seems.

Cars without sporting pretensions have much higher gearing. The CR-V engine, for instance, is turning roughly 3,000rpm at 80, so I'd expect its rings to have a longer life.

The new ones seem to have problems the old ones didn't. Lots of the usual new-style EVAP issues, cats, and alternators. All of those really add up in expenses. Mind you, all but the alternator seem to be endemic to ALL makes, and you can thank the federal EPA for them.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

That's true. Auto transmissions, anyone?

A 4 cylinder manual transmission Honda, though, is a jewel to behold--and to last forever.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nntp1.usenetserver.com:

Well, only '96 to '00, really. And only certain engines and VINs. And Honda is pretty lenient with warranty replacements, so...

That's a good point. My 5-speed tranny is entirely original, with the same mileage as the engine. The bearings are a bit noisy, but nothing that would demand attention within the next year or two.

Could you have imagined such a thing in 1970? An engine and transmission combo that would last 300K? My dad had a '58 Dodge Regent (Dodge Royal in the US) with the 318 and 2-speed push-button Powerflite. He got

140,000 miles out of it by 1971, which was an astonishing mileage for the time. But by then the car was at the end of its life.
Reply to
TeGGeR®

And let us not forget the increased use of electronics for throttle, auto tranny, and numerous other things. Electronics do not necessarily make things more reliable, especially when bugs are discovered after people buy them. And again, this applies to all car manufacturers.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

They are lenient, but it's the 98 through 04 auto trans hooked to V6 engines that were miserable.

And that's not only one transmission, but two different transmissions--the first was the 4 speed unit where they extended the warranty, and the second was the 5 speed unit that cost them $360 million to fix.

Those transmissions are the legacy of the days when Honda let the beancounters take over from the engineers.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Well, the Chevy was splash lubricated (rod bearings) and of course, lubricants back then were not close to what they are today.

My favorite old cars are Studebakers and the Stude V8's were virtually indestructible. Still, a lot of these cars ended "parked" in the back

40 well before 100K. Most suffered a premature end of life because of something simple like broken points, bad wires, or cracked distributor cap, etc. I have purchased a number of 'em for parts and with a little coaxing, most start right up with the proper attention.

Those same engines with today's lubricants would go well past 200K. A Honda properly cared for would do even better due to better seals and other improvements in technology over the years. Yet, a goodly number of Hondas also don't make it much past 100K and usually for simple things like a blown head gasket due to an aged hose failure etc.

Service life in my opinion is strictly up to the user...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

I wish mine had a manual... I think they are usually a bit more reliable overall.. Less parts, etc.. I'm driving a 89 accord that I bought about 6-8 weeks or so ago. It has the automatic 4 speed, which doesn't have the most stellar record.. But I think some is the upkeep. I have heard of a few auto- matics lasting well over 200-300k. But... I bet those are the ones that change the fluid regularly, don't drive like Speed Racer's =AE lost stepchild, etc.. I bet many don't even bother to change the tranny fluid, even though it's quite easy with the drain plug. I know mine was pretty dirty and brown looking. I've already done one drain/refill and plan to do it again pretty soon. So far, mine seems to shift normal, and doesn't seem to slip or anything. I don't hot rod around, so I might get lucky and get quite a few more miles out of it if I keep the fluid clean. As far as the engine, I have no doubts it could go 300k plus before needing an overhaul. Mine has 151k, and still runs very well. Quiet valves, no smoke, etc.. It shows no signs of even being close to wore out. I think as long as I don't break a timing belt, or overheat it, it will last as long as I own it, no sweat. My 89 uses the iron block engine. "last year" I've heard theories that those engines were kind of "underdriven" and thus tend to last quite a while if kept up. So anyway, I consider the auto tranny a weak link compared to the engine, but all I can do is drive it, keep the fluid clean, and hope it doesn't crap out.. Secrets to long life.. Tranny, keep the fluid clean, and don't dog it half to death playing race car driver. Engine, keep the oil clean, don't *ever* overheat it, and don't dog it half to death playing race car driver. Just common sense really. MK

Reply to
nm5k

High Tech Misfit wrote in news:vzka15uzyn80$. snipped-for-privacy@hightech.misfit:

All those you list are emissions and/or liability-driven.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Well,.. my honda civic is just last forever. Planned to buy the new Civic SI coupe last year.. but it still run...and keep delaying my buying plan...

89 civic sedan auto, 300k+ km already... still runs...

I assume your lovely FIT will do the same....

Ike wrote:

Reply to
dave

The only question mark I would have is the automatic trans. Honda has had some trouble in recent years with them and I suspect that getting

500k miles out of one is rare.

Luckily the company is called Honda MOTOR Company, not Honda Transmission Company :).

John

Reply to
John Horner

-- Tp,

-------- __o

----- -\

Reply to
TomP
92 Accord, 5 speed, 233,000 milles. oritginal clutch.

My 89 was better though 265,000 (it was a better car too.)

Ike wrote:

Nice. Excellent on the manual, lots of highway miles or both?

Reply to
Dave L
36,001 miles :-)
Reply to
rick++

the first 120,000 miles on each was a high proportion of highway miles. The miles after that were a normal mix.

Norman.