Honda Element Milage

We just bought a 2005 brand new Honda Element. Our gas mileage is coming in at 19.5 in town and 21.5 on the highway. The best we ever got was 22.5 mpg
out of a tank.
What are other people experiencing?
This is our first experience that the EPA estimate has been so far off. Our other cars came in around EPA estimates.
Thanks
Bob Brennan
Robert Brennan wrote:

This has been a popular topic as of late. Let's go over this again.
Are you experiencing winter weather in your area?
The car is not broken in yet. Wait until about 5000 miles.
How are the tire pressures?
What are your driving habits like?
A combination of any or all of the above will increase fuel consumption.
Yes we are in winter and we do not yet have 5,000 miles on the car. Tires are fine. Driving is fine.
Thanks for the response. I will wait until winter is gone, a long wait in Chicago.
How does "breaking in" affect mileage?
Bob Brennan

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006 22:57:52 GMT, "Robert Brennan"

I drive in Chicago also. Weather has been pretty mild this winter but the expressways are fast. If you are driving 70 - 80 much of the time, the aerodynamics of this vehicle are going to cut into milage a lot more than in an Accord.
I see that the EPA numbers for this car are 21/25 so you are pretty close on the city. Warmer weather, a little more break-in and slower driving if applicable could easily make up that difference. Warmer weather will help on the highway also, especially at higher speeds. I think the EPA highway estimate is based on 55 mph. If you do a steady 55 on the interstate on a warm day in June, you could get at least close to 25 mpg if you aren't driven off the road.

I have a new 05 Element as well with about 4500 miles on it. My mileage is almost exactly the same as yours...don't feel bad.