Honda Engine Leaking oil

How can you check to see if the engine is leaking oil?
I own a Honda civiv 98 hatchback standard.
I suspect that my engine may be leaking oil. There may be black oily spots left by my car.
This is what someone else told me they noticed. I'm going to check tonight to see if there are any oily spots left under my parked car. I just changed the oil after 8,000km and the mechanic told me he noticed there was very little oil left in the engine when he changed the oil. I do a lot of stop and start driving for around 3-4 hours non-stop everyday. How can you check for engine oil leaks and what could be causing this? How expensive is it to repair?
Leaking oil will not make the oil dirty.
Just put a piece of cardboard under the engine at home.
If it is dripping, you have to find out from where. I have a '91 accord that leaves a few drips, but it's done that for the last 50k miles. The mail seal leaks. It is not worth fixing.
Maybe your valve cover is leaking. Less than $100 to have fixed (including labor).
G-Man

The first step is to visit a store that sells large shipping boxes. Break down the box until it is flat and slide it under your car before you go to sleep. During the morning, check the box before you pull it out from under the car. If you see oil on the box, use a flashlite to determine where it is coming from. If it's coming from the bottom of the oil pan--it could mean that you need a new oil pan gasket. I don't advise you to change it--it's a very messy job. Take it to a mechanic. It's a lot easier to do when the car is on a lift.
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO

not usually a big deal, but being very low on oil is. The engine is probably "consuming" (burning, mainly) oil. Be sure to check the oil level *every* time you get gas, and add a quart when the level gets to the "fill" line on the dipstick. Keep a quart in the car so you won't put it off. Running out of oil will destroy your engine quickly.
Mike
Cars do use oil but the question is how much you can live with. If between oil changes you lose a quart total, is it really worth fixing since oil is pretty cheap, relatively speaking.
What actually worries me more is that a mechanic mentioned that there was very little oil left: do you check your oil periodically? I'd check your oil every fill up or more frequently, if you think you are losing oil to get an idea how much you are using. Useage is not a linear function in time if you don't fill it up every time. If you don't top off your oil, It the first week you lose 100 cL, the next week you might lose 200 mL, 400 the week after -- just guessing at those numbers but they are just to illustrate. Topping it off will keep the usuage around 100 cL a week.It is a lot better for your engine, not wearing internals down.
If you are leaking oil, you could get your engine steam cleaned to see where it might be seeping from.
Remco
marc wrote:

Check your oil according to the fine manual, and replace your PCV if the consumtion is too high. Change it anyway, it's cheap.
'Curly'
I placed a sheet of paper under the car overnight, there was no oil left only some water I guess from the snow under the car. By the way, I didn't change the oil after 8000km it was 6000km. The car seems to be running fine.