Honda Fit Feedback wanted

Thinking about getting one. Any comments appreciated.

Reply to
stolarskin

New-generation Fit is due out in the US this fall as a 2009 model, with a new body style and more powerful engine. Depending on what you want, you could either wait for the new model, or try to get a deal on a current-generation model as the dealers try to unload remaining inventory. The latter approach may or may not bear fruit, however, as Fits have been in short supply since their introduction (although I have been seeing them on dealer lots more over the past few months).

Google "2009 Fit" for some pics of the new model to see if you like it or not - I personally like the current body style in Fit Sport trim. I test-drove one a few months ago and felt that it was comfortable and had more than adequate power for a car in its class. I might consider something a little larger and more powerful if I had to drive long distances on a regular basis, but otherwise it's a fine car that is really a welcome return to Honda's roots.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garrett

I test drove one, and have read feedback from owners. The main drawback to the current Fit is the fuel economy: it's geared lower than the Civic to improve performance, and actually gets worse fuel economy on the highway than a Civic. It is fun to drive, although I found the clutch and shifter in the 5 speed to be less fun than the ones in my old Civic Si.

Reply to
mjc1

I have a 2008 Fit sport w/automatic trans. Plenty of room in such a little car, really impressive. Standard options include ABS, side airbags and curtains, and decent sound system. Really liked the way the rear seats can be configured. Could use a telescopic steering option. Fuel economy could be a bit better, with 3000 miles on the odometer I am averaging 32 MPG (approx. 60% hwy & 40% city) since new. Keeping the RPM below 3000RPM helps. Have seen a high of 36 MPG with about 70% hwy. The standard shift should do about 2MPG better. I'm hoping fuel economy will improve some after it's broke in more.

Would I buy another one? At this point yes, but I've not had it long enough to know a couple of years from now.

Comfort level is ok but does not compare to a Camry or Accord. No experience with Corolla or Civic so I can't compare to them.

Do check out the Nissan Versa, I liked it , But thought the Toyota Yaris was crap.

Bob

Reply to
bad

I have a Honda Civic Hybrid, I was given a Fit as a loaner for 3 days while I was having some warranty work done on the Civic....I am 6'4" & I could not find a comfortable position in the Fit, there was not enough legroom, hip-room or anyplace to put my right elbow. I thought the controls bordered on comical there isn't even a temp gauge....the stereo looks like something out of a cheap boombox...speaking of which, the car had all the sound deadening of a tin can. The performance seemed jumpy with lots of noise and nothing to show for it. In case you did not guess, I did not care for the car I found it far inferior to the Civic for little difference in price (Sport vs LX). Yes the Civic is no Acura, but it is worlds better than the Fit. In my experience, the smoothest quietest Civic is the Hybrid but it is not for people trying only to get the cheapest ride available....if that is what you are after, yeah, it will probably be a fit, but try a base Civic, you might be surprised what you get for your $$$$.

"stolarskin" wrote in message news:OTe%j.54030$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews1.bellsouth.net...

Reply to
Justbob30

Have tried the Versa. Very nice ride, though didn't go much over 50 mph. Seemed pretty quiet. Alot solider feeling than the Scions, in fact. Both my daughters have one. Mileage on Badbobs Fit, seems to be pretty bad for such a small car. Disapointed to hear about the Yaris, though. I'm thinking because of the central mounted speedo, it's tooled after the Scion. I am an hour away from the nearest Toyota dealer, so driving my truck over there is a $30 decision to make. Looks like the dealers are all jacking the prices of the little cars up, so we're getting jammed from the gas and car companies now. So I'm looking for relatively decent mileage and cheap car.

Reply to
stolarskin

Full MSRP here in Houston, Tx - will wait ...

Reply to
2000 Civic hatch

It's funny how idiots base their idea on what the car should cost based on the random number the mfr puts on the sticker, and not what the value of the car itself is.

Gotta have it below sticker or else it's not a value. Really. So if Honda placed the sticker at $8000, you'd still say "nope, not at sticker price; gotta be lower". Right?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I'll take one at 8K. Versa is assembled in Mexico, why is it $16K base? I'm pretty sure the labor cost there is pretty low.

Reply to
stolarskin

mean while, they're still pouring money into their existing gas guzzler, thereby wasting what they were hoping to save....

Reply to
jim beam

Actually the Fit is overpriced compared to its competition so if it sold for MSRP minus $ 2000.00 that would be about right

Reply to
2000 Civic hatch

And the idiots would still say that it's "too expensive" because they "have to have it below sticker".

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I seriously doubt anybody would dicker if the price was 8K.

"> And the idiots would still say that it's "too expensive" because they

Reply to
stolarskin

And below sticker on a base Fit is about $200 less than MSRP. Fact! Believe it.

Howard

Reply to
howard

I got 41 mpg from Denver to Las Vegas. Haven't quite figured out around-town mpg. Everything they advertise about the incredible storage room is correct. When in the front seats you can't believe you are in a small car. It feels big! I love this car. Best design yet. Only complaint-only 10.8 gallon gas tank.

Reply to
Nick
41 mpg is great. Now I guess the next problem I'm facing is selling my Ram pickup. Dealers don't want em.

I got 41 mpg from Denver to Las Vegas. Haven't quite figured out around-town mpg. Everything they advertise about the incredible storage room is correct. When in the front seats you can't believe you are in a small car. It feels big! I love this car. Best design yet. Only complaint-only 10.8 gallon gas tank.

Reply to
stolarskin

Which means that right now, buying a used pickup and paying for the gas is probably cheaper than buying a new small car and not paying for the gas.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Gah - I wish they'd forget that "mini window" after the A-pillar treatment, it's terrible for outward visibility (for me) - other than that - I think it looks great.

I bought my 2008 Fit Sport AT in March before the $4 gas arrived

-great mpg after about 3000 miles

-very quiet and smooth to me (compared to my now parked '97 Nissan pickup)

-very easy to park

-tight fit and finish

-plenty of passenger and cargo room

-all around fun to drive

Reply to
Truckdude

I realize your post is back from late May, but I wanted to chime in.

My brother in law has had one for about a year now, and I drove it on a 300mile trip last year. Fantastic little car. It winds up like a top when you go to pass someone and the acceleration isn't gonna press you to the back of your seat, but I'll say that my wife and I are secretly hoping he tires of it in a few years and we can buy it from him. We'd love it as a second car far more efficient vehicle to the minivan when we aren't schlepping kids around en masse.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.