Honda Fit, noisy

Hi. Just test drove the Fit. Really liked it, very peppy for small engine, but really noisy. Anybody know of good way to inulate passengers from engine noise, without overheating engine.

Reply to
Andrew Murray

I use carpet padding under the carpeting. I usually do this on old cars, since if there are any holes the padding will get wet. We don't want that happeneing.

Or, you could get something like DynaMat. You have to remove the interior and put it under the carpet and behind the door panels.

The thing would be as quiet as a Cadillac!

Reply to
Hachiroku

| Anybody know of good way to inulate passengers from | engine noise, without overheating engine.

1) fit a bigger muffler ; Lexus has a very big muffler 2) find ways to incr spark size (i) disable useless drain of current e.g. bypass windows' motors relay, or diasble internal EGR's valve & solenoid, (ii) use copper wires to conduct heat out of transformer coils to get more amperes ; faster combustion can really cut exhaust noise
Reply to
TE Chea

You wish. In my experience sound deadeners work wonders for stopping rattles and increasing bass tenfold but they don't do a dick to decrease road noise. You get what you pay for. If peace and quiet is high on the shopping list I suggest to pay for a luxury or a near luxury car.

Reply to
isquat

I put foam carpet padding in a Corolla and the quietness was deafening.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Like an Accord or Camry.

My 07 is notably quieter than the 04, which was already quiet, and generally the Camrys are quieter yet.

J.

Reply to
JXStern

Chea, all you have to do to reduce the noise is to take those pills that make the voices in your head go away.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

Okay, you managed to treat the window glass too???

I still don't understand how that would help with the ENGINE noise the OP is drying to drown. You can treat the floor all you want and I might even believe it would drown the cacophony of pebbles on an unpaved section of a road but how would that help with the ENGINE noise? To drown the engine noise there are two options:

1=2E Treat the firewall with prodigious amounts of sound deadeners (including liquid ones because firewall is a bitch to get to and a bunch of piping going back and forth thru it does not help) 2=2E Install a quieter engine (such as a six or an eight) and operate it at half the potential at low rpm.
Reply to
isquat

Well, the overall level of noise in the car came down immediately.

What happened was, the car was stolen and gutted on the interior. When I got it back the carpeting was still there, but the seats, console, etc were all removed. I removed the lower part of the dash and the carpeting, laid the carpeting out on the ground and cut the carpet padding in patterns to match the carpet. This covered the entire floor panel from the top of the firewall all the way to the back of the car ('85 Corolla Hatch).

I used 1/2" padding with a 'vapor barrier' on one side, and put the vapor barrier towards the floor. The car was incredibly more quite then it had ever been before. I was amazed. I had bought the car in '86, so it wasn't like it was new to me. I did the rebuild in '91, so I was well familiar with how loud the car was.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Interior noise levels are one place where Honda doesn't do a great job.

Professional undercoating helps quite a bit to reduce road noise and also damps the conduction of engine noise through the floorpan.

Reply to
John Horner

But can also lead to trapping moisture and causing premature rusting.

I bought a Corolla in '86 from the Service Manager at a Toy dealer. He didn't undercoat it, and I asked him about it, and he shot back at me, "You want it to rust?"

That car went the longest without rust of any Toyota I had previously and had undercoated.

Reply to
Hachiroku