Honda newbie question - civic or accord?

Page 1 of 2
Hey everybody,
I'm kinda new to all of the honda cars, but I've heard from all of my friends that they're great cars, so I was looking at their specs the
site for a dealership near where I live and I narrowed it down to two cars, civic ex (http://www.crownhonda.com/honda_car_specs/2007_honda_civic_sedan.html ) or accord ex (http://www.crownhonda.com/honda_car_specs/2007_honda_accord_sedan.html )?
The $4k price difference doesn't mean that much to me, and I while I like the looks of the civic, I REALLY like the 6 disc cd changer in the accord, so I'm totally at a loss of which one to chose. Does anybody else have any other stories or information about which one to chose? Anything I should know about before I buy one?
Thanks for the help!
-Ken
I saw the second link messed up from my question mark, so if you just click the link and then take of the parentheses and question mark at the end then it should work. Here it is again if you prefer:
http://www.crownhonda.com/honda_car_specs/2007_honda_accord_sedan.html
Guess that's what I get for being a google groups newbie also. :-/
Again, all info and stories are appreciated!
-Ken
If price isn't an issue then it's a definite no brainer in my opinion. I have a 2006 Accord EX-L (4 cyl) with navigation and 5 speed manual. The civic's main advantages over the accord are that ti gets slightly better gas mileage, (it's smaller and lighter) it's easier to get into parking spots (if you live in a city, this may or may not be important to you)

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

At this point, there are a couple of things to consider.
1. The current Civic is in only its second year of production, so perhaps all the bugs have not been ironed out yet.
2. If the previous point does not concern you, if you wait another year, the Accord should be all new for 2008.
Otherwise, both are very good cars. If you are a single guy, the Civic should suffice. But if you have a family, I would get a 4-cylinder Accord.
BTW, can you not get a 6-disc CD changer in a Civic as a dealer-installed option?
Interesting stuff.
I don't know if I can get the 6-disc cd changer in the civic as a dealer option, but I guess with the price difference I can get a great system for $4k from a stereo store like Best Buy. I didn't think about that before....
Also, you said that the Accord is going to be redesigned in 2008, do you have any sites that show some pictures or have more info about what it's going to be like?
-Ken
On 7 Oct 2006 15:03:20 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

All the Japanese manufacturers tend to be very secretive about upcoming stuff, cuz they know any hints tend to depress current sales.
J.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Be careful about that assumption. Many modern vehicles have the radio unit tightly integrated into things like the car alarm and other functions. Replacing the factory unit with an after market one often involves compromises you might not first think of.
John
On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 20:16:15 GMT, John Horner wrote:

There is a changer option for the Civic. It isn't cheap, but it can be fully installed by the dealer, and ou can probably negotiate it into the price of the car to get it a bit cheaper...
--
Joseph M. LaVigne
snipped-for-privacy@hits-buffalo.com
On 6 Oct 2006 21:10:06 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I like your choices.
I have a 2004 EX coming to lease end soon, and normally would go out and just get the new one as a default choice, but the new Civic looks much cuter, and for that matter is larger and faster than the 1987 Accord I had back when. Actually, the current Accords are a little larger than I'd really like to drive (I should probably get an Acura TSX, I suppose, but I don't like the premium fuel requirement, and for a sport sedan, I'd prefer a little more zip ... so for less money, I've stayed with the Accord). But, well, I've pretty much decided to just stay with the Accord, again. They are amazingly good cars.
Say a little about your driving habits, and maybe what you've driven before, and you might get more specific advice.
J.
No brainer. Get the Civic SI if you can find it. The 6 CD changer isn't really necessarry, since the CD player will play MP3 discs and you can load hundreds of songs on a disc. Also, if you have an IPOD there is an aux port on the front of the stereo that you can plug the IPOD into. I wouldn't waste money on the TUNELINK pushed by Honda. I've had my SI since the beginning of the year. I had to wait for it for a few months, but it was well worth the wait. The VTEC engine is responsive, and the gas mileage is superb.

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 14:20:40 -0400, Ron Harris wrote:

Not quite superb. If mileage is a big issue, get the EX. Has the same stereo as the Si, comes in an auto if you want it, and comes in a 4-door if you need it. And it gets better mileage.
The Si mileage is worse than the accord's.
But I LOVE the Si, myself, and it is a blast to drive...
--
Joseph M. LaVigne
snipped-for-privacy@hits-buffalo.com
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

That price difference might come down with aggressive negotiations as the Accord is now an older design and in plentiful supply while the Civic is all new for 2007 and in tighter supply. Thus even though there is a large spread in MSRP, actual transaction prices are much closer.
With the Accord you also get a model where the early bugs have been sorted out. Yes, even Hondas get better with later model years of a given design.
Other than that it is just a question of which one you like best!
John
The civic gets better mileage and fits into parking spaces easier. The accord rides smoother and holds a 3rd or 4th passenger easier.
Supposedly Honda will have new low end option called the FIT. But for unclear reasons they are shipping them in quantity yet.
rick++ wrote:

What do you mean "supposedly"? The Fit has been on sale in North America since the spring. But demand is currently exceeding supply.
People in this newsgroup havent been able to get one.
My dealer hasnt had one on the lot.
I dont think they are really shipping yet.
rick++ wrote:

Like I said, demand is exceeding supply. But it IS shipping. The only dealer in my area has 3 Fits on their lot.
Just because your dealer has none does not mean that they are not shipping.

I've seen a total of ONE on the road...
Dave L wrote:

Again, it depends on where you are. I've seen quite a few in my area.

You're right. But make that two. Saw another today. lol
On 9 Oct 2006 16:05:19 -0700, rick++ wrote:

I have seen some on the road. My dealer has had them. They are sold before they arrive, but they exist.
They had the same problem with the Civics, too. Demand is just much greater than supply right now...