Honda Oil Filter Vs. Fram Oil Filter?

I know that the Honda oil filter is made by Fram; however, the Honda filter has a tapered O ring as opposed to the Fram filter which does not. Does this make a difference? Has anyone used the Fram oil filters? Any leaks?

Thanks

Reply to
Nino NoSpam

I don't know of any filter that leaks as long as the O ring is wiped with clean oil before installing.

Reply to
Alan

the o-ring makes no difference to leakage, but it's cheaper, just like everything else about the fram filter. google for a number of web sites and you'll where people have dissected multiple brands of filters, and fram always comes out worst.

one last thing about the fram o-ring: the flat type they use can sometimes stick to the block when the filter is removed. if this is not noticed, "double-ringing" can occur, and if you're lucky, oil sprays all over the engine bay when you go to start. it's a real pita to clean up and you need to change your accessory belts. if you're not so lucky, this happens on the freeway with /much/ more serious [and expensive] consequences.

Reply to
jim beam

The photos I have seen seem to show that the Honda and Fram filters are constructed differently in several ways. Just because Fram makes them for Honda does not mean they are the same thing.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Talking about Honda filters, When I went to the Honda dealer, to get my oil filters, he said that there is a new type filter, smaller, for my 98 4cylinder Accord. It does not seal correctly. The out side of the filter bottoms out on the filter casting area. The gasket does not compress enought! The parts man said that I have the correct filter..anyone else have this problem? I have bee using Puralator, pennzoil,Fram and they all fit ok. Andy

Reply to
Andy & Carol

I have installed two or three of the new type on my '98 Ody and '94 GSR. They are a little hard to start threading but once started, they seem to seat fine. I am more concerned about the possible reduction in filter capacity.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

"Andy & Carol" wrote in news:1knlg.211569$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

What's the part number? About 90% of Hondas use 15400-PLM-A02.

I still have one of the old-style filters here. The gasket on the old one does indeed stick out quite a ways more than on the new one. However, if the mounting surface is FLAT, it should not matter.

Do you have a groove worn into your filter mounting surface?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Mounting surface is flat but the outer case of the filter bottomes out, digs in to the casting, and then you cannot compress the gasket anymore, hand tight. With the old larger,filter, the outside of the filter goes beyond the casting, and then the gasket seals properly. I just doen't use the new Honda filter. All other brands are the same size as the old filter. Andy

Reply to
Andy & Carol

"Andy & Carol" wrote in news:f0Jlg.217633$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

That's odd. I use the same filter, and my mounting surface is similarly under the crimped edge of the can, and I have no problem with contact.

Are you *sure* you're tightening to no more than 8-10 lbs?

Honda does have other filters (I think two others). One is the same as the A02, but longer, and other is quite different. You may want to ask your dealer for each and compare.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Yes, the bottom of the filter, is gouged and the paint is ground off. The new filter was almost leaking. I knew something was wrong, because when tighting the new filter, it would just stop, not slow down as when you are compressing the gasket.

Reply to
Andy & Carol

Recently I placed an order for some routine maintenance parts and decided to order a Denso oil filter for my 2004 Accord. The Denso filter is still the same as the old Honda oil filter and not like the new Honda tea-cup filters. No doubt the new Honda tea-cups are easier to hand torque but I'm sticking with filters that contain more media (e.g., Purolator PurOne).

Reply to
ACAR