Honda Pilot Tire Inflation Idiot Lights

We bought a new Honda Pilot about a year ago. It's a great vehicle, and we have very few complaints. However, there are warning lights for tire inflation. There is a plan view of the vehicle that shows the four wheels, and the ones that are not properly inflated are lit up. In addition, there is a larger indicator light that comes on whenever one or more of the tires indicates improper inflation.

The problem is that the system almost always indicates that one or more tires are improperly inflated. It is very fussy when temperatures change. I have keep them inflated per instructions in the manual. The inflation guide instructs to keep all four tires at 32 psi.

After trying various adjustments, I finally discovered a setting that seems to work. I inflated the rear tires to 32 psi and the front tires to 34 psi. Since then, all of the indicators have gone out. For the first time in a year, we can drive without the annoying indications. Since the engine is over the front wheels, I am assuming that the front tires require just a bit more pressure to maintain similiar diameter to the rear wheels.

For what it's worth, this worked in our vehicle, so maybe it will help others out. We'll keep on rotating tires per schedule, and monitor for indications of excessive or unusual wear.

Brian

Reply to
FlyWithTwo

"FlyWithTwo" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

Thank your federal government's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration for thiat particular abomination.

Your tax dollars at work.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

no, thank those idiots at "fix or repair daily" that managed to convince congress that the exploder rollover problems were tire issues, /not/ fundamental stability issues with their garbage product. unbelievable whitewash. no vehicle should roll because of a flat. ever. and they knew it too, but still sold them because the profit margins were HUGE on that piece of garbage and exceeded any potential legal costs [short of discovery] by a substantial margin. but wtf, political containment beats customer safety any day. and now, every other manufacturer pays the price!!! again, unbelievable whitewash. witness lobbying dollars at work.

Reply to
jim beam

jim beam wrote in news:Af6dnccn3e5TAgHZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

Oui, monsieur. But there needs to be a power structure in place to abuse before abuse can take place.

If lobbyists had not a pre-existing power mechanism to manipulate, how far do you think they would have got?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I see now that this feature is standard on the Pilot. Fortunately, it was not available when we bought our Pilot in 2003. I am even more pleased that it is not standard on the 06 Accord coupe I4 I just bought.

Reply to
tww

Could be the fronts get HOTTER driving to the gas station, and so you should really inflate them to 36 PSI, or be sure to only do the checking when everything is cold. (that's why they call it cold tire pressure)

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'