Honda Power Steering Fluid

My PS fluid needs topping off. Is this something special I *must* get from the dealer or can I just top-off with generic DOT3 from Autozone etc? The PS
fluid reservoir cap says to use only genuine Honda PS fluid for top-off, though. What's the consensus? I've used generic in my Toyota for years - no problem.
Thanks Kofi

Use the right stuff....it's cheap insurance.
Kofi Anim-Appiah wrote:

------------------------------
If you put DOT 3 in there you'll probably destroy the system in about two minutes. DOT 3 is BRAKE fluid. It strips paint. You need a little bottle of HONDA power steering fluid.
'Curly'
motsco_ _" <"motsco_ _ wrote:

Are the specifications for Honda PS fluid any different than OTS?
Oops, getting my fluids mixed up. I meant generic PS fluid - not DOT3 brake fluid.
Thanks Kofi

from
The PS

no
Kofi Anim-Appiah wrote:

Honda PS fluid is different from normal PS fluid. Of course no PS fluid is "DOT3", DOT3 is Brake Fluid.
Many REAL auto parts stores carry Honda Specific PS fluid. I bought some at the local NAPA Auto Parts. Certainly use the Honda specific stuff by getting it at a dealer or an auto parts store.
Autozone, Kragen, etc. are not REAL auto parts stores in my book.
John
Kofi Anim-Appiah wrote:

Using generic power steering fluid, essentially, anything other than Honda's, will cause the seals in the power steering rack to leak. So, unless you like giving your mechanic a lot of money, don't do this. Use Honda fluid.
An interesting side note here is why should your system need topping off in the first place? Is the rack or some other component already leaking? How long have you owned your car? Maybe a prior owner or unknowledgeable service tech has already put in the wrong fluid? It sounds like you may need to go over your power steering sytem carefully and make sure it's ok. Note that one potential source for leaks is the front seal on the pump. These seals can usually be replaced depending on the year and model.
Eric
I haven't found the source of the leak but I haven't looked hard - I've owned the car for 5 1/2 years. I'm actually just noticing the level of the PS fluid - perhaps it's always been at the 'low' mark in the reservoir ever since I bought the car (used). The PS pump seems easy to get to so I'll take a better look at it.
Thanks much for the comments. Kofi

Toyota
in
How
Kofi Anim-Appiah wrote:

By the way, what year and model is this Honda?
"" wrote: > My PS fluid needs topping off. Is this something special I > *must* get from > the dealer or can I just top-off with generic DOT3 from > Autozone etc? The PS > fluid reservoir cap says to use only genuine Honda PS fluid > for top-off, > though. What's the consensus? I've used generic in my Toyota > for years - no > problem. > > Thanks > Kofi
nothing wrong with autozone aslong as you are smarter than the HS kid they got behind the counter. Really PS fluid is PS fluid. I would say stick with honda, just to remain consistent. but going with something else shouldnt hurt. Just go with a good brand not the wal-mart special.
xmirage2kx wrote:

------------------------------
It HAS TO SAY 'SUITABLE FOR HONDA' ON THE BOTTLE or you'll trash your power steering. Read the FINE manual that came with your car.
'Curly'
motsco_ _" <"motsco_ _ wrote:

Is there a published specification to show why Honda would need a different PS fluid from Toyota or Ford, or at least a comparative specification between "suitable for Honda" grades and "others" (things like inherent viscosity, temperature ratings, included detergents or other additives, etc)?

None that I've found, and I've looked. More than a few anecdotal reports of bad things happening when it is NOT used, however, is enough to get me to dealer for the real deal. I sleep better that way.
YMMV.
Steve Bigelow wrote:

Just a matter of principle. In the overall scheme of things, the cost difference is rather insignificant between grades.
Walmart sells a brand of Honda power steering fluid called Bardahl and it's really good quality. It costs the same as the Autozone generic brand Coastal. The Bardahl brand sold at Walmart is better.
-jeff