Honda search installment 1

I looked at some available 2002 Honda Accord models, but they all had far too many miles on them. Most were pushing 100,000 or more. I test drove a couple of 2006 and 2007 Accord SEs and they were very nice
cars.
While my pathological hatred of Microsoft tends to make me shy away from anything with the butterfly icon (MSN) this site is actually very useful. I found a wealth of information available.
http://autos.msn.com/home/reliability_ratingsinfo.aspx
I also discovered that it is possible to subscribe to the online version of Consumer Reports on a monthly basis for seven bucks.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/index.htm
I looked over their used car recommendations, reliability ratings, and reviews of individual models and concluded that the Japanese branded models still have a substantial reliability edge. So, I think I am on the right track looking for a Honda Accord.
Here is one that caught my eye (watch for line wrap)
http://autos.msn.com/classifieds/listings/frameset.aspx?page ­vancedSearch&zip=&year=&make=&model=&type=both&LNX=MSNATUSEDRESRCH
It is supposed to be a 2007, but is actually cheaper than some comparable 2006s, with extremely low mileage. .As far as I can tell, the only things that might bring the price down are the lack of a moon roof (like a give a rat's patootie) and the fact that it is not a "certified" used car. But it should have some original warranty left. I think I will go look at it tomorrow. Unfortunately, I am still waiting for the insurance company to send a check.
Elliot Richmond Itinerant astronomy teacher
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 18:07:30 -0500, Elliot Richmond

I apologize. That link just takes you to the auto trader site. But if you set the zip code to 78749 and search for a used 2007 Honda Accord sedan, it will come up.
Elliot Richmond Itinerant astronomy teacher
Add pictures here
βœ–
Elliot Richmond wrote:

Sounds like somewhere in Austin...
JT
Add pictures here
βœ–
Elliot Richmond wrote:

100k miles is middle age for a well maintained Honda. They should go 250k miles or more. I currently have 253k miles on my '88 Civic and I'm hoping to make to at least 300k or 350k miles (though more would be nice).
Eric
Add pictures here
βœ–

ESPECIALLY a 4 cylinder model with manual transmission. That is the absolute jewel of the Honda lineup. Civic, Accord--no matter. 4 cylinders and manual transmission.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 07:48:08 -0700, jim beam

Spousal unit wants a sedan (although she likes to haul around a bunch of stuff, so I think a small, car-based multi-purpose vehicle would be a good choice).
Thanks for all of the good advice. I plan on keeping whatever car I buy for as long as I kept the last one. At my age, it could very well be the last car I ever buy. I am not that old, but if I keep the car 15 years, I will be. So, I tend toward an almost new Honda. We bought the '93 with less than 10k on it, so it was like new. I am really looking for a car with less than 20k. Strangely, they are available. I found the one with 5k, and I am still puzzled. It may be a repo, but I am going to look at it.
I tried the local CarMax web sites and looked over their inventories. They have lots of "06 models, but they all look like fleet and rentals. I was not impressed.
More to come.
Elliot Richmond Itinerant astronomy teacher
Add pictures here
βœ–

I bought my '92 Honda (at an auto auction in PA for about $1800.00 under blue book value), with 123,000 miles on it. It's now up to 135,000 miles. Yes there is that darn rusty butt problem, but it just keeps going and going.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Darned troublesome spousal units. I thought there were supposed to be revisions and upgrades!
Mike (whose spousal unit doesn't frequent these dark corners!)
Add pictures here
βœ–
Michael Pardee wrote:

Often, it may prove feasible to swap in the "spousal unit" rather than the mode of transport...
JT
(No spousal unit to watch over me!)
Add pictures here
βœ–

βœ–
Michael Pardee wrote:

Hmmmph!
Sacrifice the core, it ain't worth the effort to recyle...
Start fresh!!!
<G>
JT
Add pictures here
βœ–
Eric wrote:

i agree. you can get a great price on a vehicle that mileage, take care of maintenance like timing belt, driveshafts, maybe clutch, and still be well ahead of the price you'd pay for an 06/07. and you get the last of the "real" accords.

take care of the radiator, meaning replace before you crack it and run it dry, and you likely won't ever blow the head gasket either.

Add pictures here
βœ–

Hi Eric, is the oil consumption greater these days on your 88 Civic compared to say five-ten years ago? I am pretty sure my 1991 Civic (197k miles) is consuming more oil these days. At least, I find myself adding a 1/2 quart or so every 5k miles or so. I do not think this bad. Mileage remains great at over 40 mpg. I still tend to think the rusting body is going to give out before the engine does.
Add pictures here
βœ–