honda starting problems

Hello, I have a 93 Honda with 88k miles, has an automatic transmission. In hot weather (91 F or over) after being parked in the sun for a couple of
hours the car is difficult to start. It cranks but won't fire until I have tried it about 5 times and then after 10 minutes of trying it will start and run as well as it always does. Could it be a vapor lock? I was told that it could be a computer problem, a connection that makes or breaks with high temperatures. Has anyone had such an experience or have suggestions to deal with this? Thanks, Dario
Add pictures here
âś–

Main Relay is most likely culprit. Standard, very famous, Honda problem.
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html#stalling
--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
âś–
TeGGeR® wrote:

Hey John
You must have replied as I was typing just now. Great minds think alike and apparently sometimes I think like you :)
I just gotta tell you: nice job on the FAQ, man! The recent additions and look make it even better than it was before. Thanks!
Remco
Add pictures here
âś–

Kind words indeed, thanks.
Got LOTS more stuff to add, too. It takes time, time that's claimed by the family and other things.
I have a dozen subjects still to-do on my Post-It list stuck to my monitor... Several megs of photos from me and contributors. I should win a lottery and become a millionaire so I can do this stuff full-time.
Got a weird one just now: Replacement of a hood hinge. Did you know that when hood hinges wear they cause an ungodly buzz at just the right idle speed? $39.95 Cdn each. I'm picking it up tomorrow.
--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
âś–
dario cova wrote:

Could be many things, so here are some. Others here will have many more valid things to try -- you'll be a busy man trying them all :)
Could be that an injector is leaking and floods your engine: When it starts, do you see a huge puff of smoke behind your car along with a smell of gas? Next time, floor the accelerator and try to start it. Often a good injector cleaner with several good gas fillups clears this condition.
Main relay, possibly: Gas is not getting to the injectors. Next time it happens, bang on the panel next to your left knee and see if that helps. The main relay is located around there somewhere and they tend to suffer from having bad connections internally over time. They can be repaired with a soldering iron most of the time.
Are you getting spark? Some here tell the story that the ignitor/coil can become sensitive to higher temperatures.
This faq may help you identify the problem: http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html#startrun
Hope you find it soon. Remco
Add pictures here
âś–
Thank you, I appreciate the info. I'll see what I can do. Dario

In
have
and
that
high
deal
Add pictures here
âś–
I went through this recently, and this group helped me fix it with my 94 civic. It turned out to be my distributor coil but I ended up replacing the whole distributor. I checked the main relay (put my hand on it while starting to feel for the 3 clicks) before testing/replacing the distributor parts.
I'd recommend:
Tegger's FAQs http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html#startrun I also got a lot of help from AutoZone on the web and in the store. http://tinyurl.com/8xmxs

Add pictures here
âś–