honda stops then restarts

My 98 Honda (only 48,000) five shift. Will suddenly stop on me (radio/clock stays on). Restart immediately. This will happen usually when first driving (5
- 10 min) and has been doing it for one month. Gas mileage is excellent. I have had gas filter, tune up, check airfiliter. Guy says it is the fuel pump ($200.00). Honda mechanic says probably main relay. Is anyone else having the same problems and or solution? I love my Honda so much, I told my kid I want to be buried in it. My kind (19 yrs old) has not talked to me all week.
Dr. Pete
drpete wrote:

If the radio stays on then you could probably rule out the ignitin switch. It probably needs a tune-up i.e. something to do with the distributor.

A tune up won't help if main relay is flakey. Go with the Honda mechanic.
Could be an intermitant distributor (igniter) but these usually just fail outright. Unlikely to be the fuel pump unless the car stops after a high speed run that puts demands on it.
SJD

You can resolder the main relay and eliminate that as a problem,at no cost except your time and labor. (unless you don't know how to solder;a new relay is $50 or more.) Once resoldered,they aren't a problem for a LONG time,if at all.
See www.tegger.com
IMO,a fuel pump problem would be a continual problem,not just for the first 10 min.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Wouldn't be a bad idea to check the water level in the battery if you have that kind of battery.

it's the ignition the tach usually will drop like a stone even though the engine is still turning. The cutout will be sudden, even jarring. If the fuel is dropping out and the ignition is still working the tach will follow the engine speed down and the loss of power will be gentler, especially at low speeds.
Mike