Honda, Toyota, or Lexus?

Page 2 of 2
Dan C wrote:

Are you saying that these companies do not manufacture within US borders and they do not employ American citizens?
On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 19:23:55 -0400, L Alpert wrote:

No.
What I was referring to was the blanket-statement that "the money stays here in the US" when buying one of these cars. Perhaps *some* of it does, but not all. In fact that was never the point of the original discussion at all.
<shrug>
On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 20:06:54 -0500, Dan C

So do you think there is any foreigner anywhere who owns a share and collects a dividend from GM or Ford? If so, not all of the money stays here in the US.
If you want more of the money to stay in the US, buy HMC and TM.
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/finance/chart/compare /*http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?t=my&s=HMC&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=gm
<shrug>
Dan C wrote:

This statement made it part of the discussion:
"Oh, but buying a Toyota or Honda is just fine, eh? Did you not know that those are Japanese-owned car companies? You think the money stays here in this country when you buy a Toyota or a Honda?"
The fact remains that these companies employ American workers and pay American taxes. While the actual net profit may go to foreign countries, the this is less than the actual cost of manufacturing the vehicle, so "some" of the money is inaccurate, as in reality, most of the money stays here.
<double shrug>

Believe the 3 series is assembled in Pretoria, South Africa and shipped to the States. The engines and transmissions are made in Germany.

tww1491 wrote:

I'm sure that specific models may be made in specific factories, as this would be more cost effective for inventory and assembly.
Toyota and GM have a joint venture in Fremont, CA (NUMMI), where they manufacture the Pontiac Vibe, Toyota Corolla and Tacoma (all use the same frame). Pretty interesting to see all three of these go down the same assembly line together......

Funny, I went through the exact same drill last year when replacing my '00 Avalon...
I didn't like the new Avalon (so much plastic and shiny stuff on them looked like they were designed by a 20-something engineer on drugs), same reaction to the Solara convertible, just couldn't get comfortable in the Camry seats, liked the Acura TL but damned if I'll put premium gas in one of those beasts and the price was higher than I wanted to spend on my ride--- so I ended up getting an Accord V6 EX-L--- by default really. Kinda settled for it when I bought it.
But after driving it for several months, I've really come to like and appreciate this car. It handles great ("corners like it's on rails"), has plenty of power, is fun to drive, the shape of the seats exactly match the shape of my ass, didn't care about the sunroof and XM radio-- but have come to really enjoy them, has had zero assembly defects--- and I just got back from a 650 mile trip and got 33.4 MPG!!

We have both an Avalon and an Accord in our family. I am surprised at how much more I like the Accord. It has more room. The ride and "driveability" are much better. And it is less expensive. If you haven't yet, drive your Avalon to the Honda dealer and then test drive an Accord. I think you will like Accord.
Good luck!
ray wrote:

The only thing I really don't like about our Accord and TSX is that both have high levels of road noise on certain road surfaces. The Toyota/Lexus products are much better in this regard.
A recent road trip included several hours at the end of a long day on some highways in West Texas which have very coarse pavement. The noise was maddening.
So depending on your driving style this might be an issue.
It never bothers me on trips of under two hours, but when you get into a 6-12 hour marathon day on the road like I do several times a year then road noise is very tiring.
John