Honda/Toyota vs American

Page 1 of 2
There is another thread about new Lexus and Toyota models that has just run too long. Accordingly, I wanted to spin off that conversation with a new
thread. There was discussion about buying Lexus versus Lincoln. One of the things that I realized is that, more or less, Toyota/Honda vehicles are priced by the market, both new and used, as if the car will last 150,000 miles while American vehicles are generally priced as if the vehicles will last 100,000 miles. Meaning that at 50,000MI, a Honda/Toyota will still be worth about 2/3 of the original price while an American vehicle will be worth about half. This is merely a very rough rule of thumb, but something I've noticed. Even new, the US vehicles can't be sold unless Detroit rebates it's way to a sale, so the "out the door" price is much less than the "out the door" price of a Toy/Hon. Even though the sticker prices are similar. Again, this seems to reflect that the market assumes the Toy/Hon will go 150,000 miles before major trouble vs merely 100,000 for the US vehicle. My point is that buying similar sized-categorized vehicles from Toy/Hon vs US is no longer an apples to apples comparison. (I realize that many vehicles go 200,000 to 300,000 miles...maybe more....of both American and Japanese build. But my point is that THE MARKET prices Toy/Hon vehicles to last about 50% longer).
Add pictures here
βœ–

Good idea!
There was discussion about buying Lexus versus Lincoln. One of the

Too many people have been burned by Ford/Lincoln, I suspect.
In fairness, the market lags changes in quality somewhat because people only know what they *had* as opposed to what they are getting. It takes a long time to build a good reputation and a short time to build a bad one. The last Dodge I had went bye-bye 15 years ago, and I have no intention of ever buying another. One son had a Taurus that I helped him with occasionally, and I say "no, thanks" to that also. Now he has a new Chevy Cobalt, and I'm watching it. I had a Nissan 300ZX that still makes me wake up in a cold sweat with all the electrical nightmares. Our Toyota and my daughter's Honda have been solid values and I'd buy either brand again, even at a significant premium. It's that simple.
Mike
Add pictures here
βœ–
Unfortunately for Detroit, that's been the experience of many Americans. Including my 70 year old "I'll never buy foreign" mother who is happily enjoying her now 3 year old, no-hassle Camry after enduring 4 years of endless recalls and repairs on a 1998 (or was it a '97?) Mercury Mistake (Mystique).

Add pictures here
βœ–

Mystique, I agree. My last American car was a Chevy Monza. It was so bad that GM eventually quit making them since they developed a bad reputation due to the fact that were always having various engine problems. That was my last American car. The American car companies like GM and Ford need to make some major changes if they want to continue operating. Jason
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
βœ–

A Camry made in the US (Georgetown, Kentucky) or a Camry made in Japan?
I'm not sure how to classify a foreign-label car made in the US - or, for that matter, a US-label car with significant parts from overseas (Ford Escape, with Toyota hybrid system).
-- Jack Hamilton Sacramento, California -- <> Qui vit sans folie n'est pas si sage qu'il croit. <> Franηois VI, duc de La Rochefoucauld
Add pictures here
βœ–
OK, granted the Camry was made in Kentucky. Which PROVES that Americans CAN make a quality vehicle. But you fully understand what I mean by "foreign" or "Japanese". Bottom line is that the PROFITS go to Japan...and they have BIG profits, unlike Detroit. Hey, I don't mean to bash for the sake of bashing, but am just pointing out that the market is pricing more miles-per-car into Japan.

βœ–

Jack, I believe the American factories that produce cars like the Camry and Accord are officially called "Assembly Plants". This simply means that they assembly cars that were designed under the supervision of engineers in or from Japan. In fact, my Accord was made in Japan and it's just like the Accords that were "assembled" in American.
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Jason) wrote in wrote:

Honda makes most of their auto parts here in the US. They have an engine plant in Ohio. Some of the other foreign makes bring in assemblies to be assembled.
Some of the -design- is also done in California by Americans.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

βœ–
Regardless, the market prices them to go 150,000 miles vs US vehicles to 100,000 miles.

βœ–

Jim Yanik
jyanik
βœ–
Just an observation. Most people think a Taurus or Buick Century are comparable to Camrys or Accords, but in reality one is a 100,000 vehicle and one is a 150,000 vehicle and the market prices them that way.

βœ–

Jim Yanik
jyanik
βœ–

The wages paid to AMERICAN workers making Toyotas/Hondas/Mazdas,BMWs and their parts get spent right here in the US,benefitting a lot of Americans.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

JIm, Great point. I think that it's great that thousands of Americans are working in various assembly plants owned and operated by Japanese car companies and car product companies. I even think that it's great that Americans (regardless of their race) are working as design engineers for Japanese car companies. My only point was that Japanese car companies in Japan, Canada and the USA do a much better job making vehicles.
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
βœ–
I have no problem with that. It has NOTHING to do with my point that the market prices Hondas and Toyotas to last 50% longer than American vehicles.

Add pictures here
βœ–

Both you and Jason seem to have overlooked the fact I was responding to the comment about PROFITS going to Japan instead of to US companies.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Jim, I did not mean to ignore your comment that the profits are going to Japan instead of US companies. I agree with you--That's a bad thing. However, I just wanted to make the point that the owners of Ford and GM are the ones that are mostly responsible for this problem since they are making cars that are not as well made as cars made by Japanese owned car companies. I blame the owners of Ford and GM--not the people that have purchased cars made by Japanese car companies. Do you agree or disagree with me related to my point of view on this subject? Jason
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Jason) wrote in

Only because our own companies would not respond to competition;in fact,they lobbied for protection from competition.
(and the same thing happened with the VCR;Japan developed it when US companies would not,and the profits went to Japan,deservedly.)

And Chrysler

This I agree with.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

And Fiat - like Chrysler, an automaker based in Europe.