Hope to diagnose 99 Accord problem

My car is 99 4D Accord LX 4cyl. 5 speed with 183,000 miles, all mine. In August, as I pulled off the highway from driving all day, I encountered a
definite problem: when coming to a stop, the car dies instead of idling. Sometimes it restarts fine, a few times it runs roughly for a second or two before "catching" and then it will idle smoothly and normally -- until the next stop. When the car is started cold, everything operates normally and it never dies. Once the engine comes up to operating temperature, however, the problem starts again. As I learned this, the car threw a trouble code (Insufficient EGR lift) but only once and when I reset it, it did not return. SO: I changed the plugs and coolant (the latter seemed to help, but only a little) and ran some injector cleaner through. Based on a tip received here in this group (thanks, Elle) I changed the ignition coil and that seemed to do the trick. The car still seemed a bit "hestiant" just before stopping but it generally stopped dying every time I stop.
So a few weeks pass and I drive all day on the Interstate again. About 600 miles into the trip as I slow down to pay a toll -- it dies and the condition is exactly as it was in the first place. Within a hundred miles more I had the Check Engine light on again (same code) but it reset itself automatically a couple of hundred miles after that. To get home and since then, I have become adept at using two feet on three pedals simultaneously in order to avoid having the engine die at every stop but it's annoying.
Is it possible that I fried the new coil so quickly? (The car runs cool and has never overheated.) Are there any clues in the fact that sustained highway driving seemed to bring on the problem both times? What about the EGR message? I'm searching for ideas and have always appreciated all there is to be learned here. Thanks for your thoughts.
Did you buy an OEM coil?
Original ignition wires? How about the distributor cap and rotor? If age is unknown or they are the originals, I'd replace all these with OEM, then proceed from there.

Yes, allegedly. The product listing was "Japan - OEM" and it was a bit more expensive than the other choice. The packing slip had a column for "Mfg" and showed "HIT" for this part. Don't know if that's Hitachi.
Distributor cap and rotor are old. If you think that will make I difference I'll try it. Thanks again for the first tip -- I was very grateful to you.
wrote

wrote

I wonder if his igniter is dying,and is giving bad data to the ECU for RPM control?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Despite the car's being relatively young, years-wise, given the high mileage I would urge attention to all the ignition parts.
John, sorry the coil did not seem to do it. Bear in mind old wires will wear down a coil.
I am not sure whether Hitachi (or HIT) is OEM for the coil or not, so your hunch is as good as mine. I must say that I would expect even an aftermarket coil to last much longer than this. The one my 91 Civic had at one point lasted several years.
If you haven't tried the hints at Tegger's wonderful Honda site, do. See http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html#startrun . Note especially the hints for checking the igniter and coil.