How do you get a Honda Registered if.......

How would I be able to get a Honda that was left to me by my ex-wife without a title? I have tried to tell her that she needs to get a duplicate title from DMV & just turn that over to me, but so far she has not acted on it...it's a shame that this 1993 Honda with low milage may have to go to the junk yard.....any suggestions please

Reply to
piperspost

Court order.

Do you have the court order that turns the car over to you? Take that to the DMV and get your own title.

Barring that, go back to the judge and ask that he direct her to do this.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Unless the car is hers as part of the divorce (which is what I gather from what the OP wrote) and she's just giving/abandoning it to him cause she doesn't need it anymore.

If the OP was entitled to the car as part of the divorce, then I don't think he would have written "was left to me by my ex-wife".

Reply to
Seth

Then he ignores it and she, the legal owner, is abandoning the car. At worst, he calls the city to report an abandoned car.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I don't know about his city, but here in mine an abandoned car gets towed to the impound and the registered owner gets the bill. But I wouldn't be able to get a title to the car on that basis. That doesn't help the OP cause ultimately he wants to drive the car, not get rid of it.

Reply to
Seth

That's not the point. If she's not going to give up the title, then take the car away from her.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

May not be /your/ point, but the OP's point is to retain/regain ownership of the vehicle and drive it.

Reply to
Seth

Here you would go to the RMV and have a new document printed for $15.00. Then she would sign it over to you and you would pay no tax on the transaction because it would be considered a gift.

Reply to
Brian Smith

He has the information--if it's his as part of the divorce proceedings, he has the judge order her to take care of it.

If it's not his, then it's not his. He *could* go to the court and explain that "your honor, she gave me the car but refuses to give me the title". Won't work. Waste of time.

So without a title, the car isn't his--regardless of who possesses the car itself.

If she won't give the title up, then he hands her the car back. If she doesn't want it, he leaves it with her. If she dumps it back in his driveway, he puts it on the street and calls it abandoned.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

My state DMV (and I believe all other states) has proceedures and forms for getting a new title and registering a vehicle that you have in your possession but have no title/registration for. I have done this on a car that was left with us and which we had in storage for over 8 years and that had not been registered since then. We did have to get a form signed by the owner(who had moved to California) saying it was given to us and when he had last registered it. Our state does not keep registration records more than 5 years old--hence the form was required. We did this successfully, but in your case it seems like you are going to have to get a similar form signed by your ex-wife, and if she won't get a title for you, she probably won't do this either. I do recall that their was also something on the forms where you could say that the original owner was unknown or couldn't be located, but if you did that you would need to attest to that and get the form notarized. Hope this helps.

Ken

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Reply to
Kenneth J. Harris

Thanks for all the feedback guys....I have tried everuthing possible to get the regersted in my name, but first I need to get the title. She claims that she can't find the original, so I sent her a duplicate Title form to fill out from DMV along w/the lein release form from Chase Bamk & I have heard every story from her about it it not getting done. I have seeked Legal advice to see if a lawyer could step on her toes a little bit & make her crap or get off the bowl.

I may be able to renew the regerstration in her name next month & pick up an Insurance Company that will provide me full coverage in my name & I would be good to go, the only thing is if I ever wanted to dump the car or sell it at a later point in time I will not be able to.

Reply to
piperspost