how hard is it to do tune up on 2000 honda civic myself?

I've been reading that a modern tune up is pretty easy to do. I have novice experience but I have changed distributor caps and plugs in the past - 15 years ago. Is there anything that would be too difficult on a modern vehicle for me?

Reply to
Joe

You dont say how old your car is ?

If it is a fairly modern vehicle and not too many miles ? just throw a new set of plugs into it .(thats what the shops call a tuneup today and charge you an arm and a leg for)If it has a lot of miles ? it MAY need a valve adjustment.

Change the air filter if necessary and the cabin filter as well on the newer ones.

As well as an oil and filter change if needed

Reply to
mred

it has 90k miles on it. I bought it at 48k and haven't had a tune up yet. Should I change the distributor cap and rotor as well and what about the PCV filter I've been reading about?

Reply to
Joe

"Joe" wrote

Yes, it is. For example, your 2000 Civic has electronic ignition. Timing rarely needs to be adjusted as a result. Checking it seems a good idea, though. With my much older

1991 Civic (also electronic ignition), the only time I find any significant variation from the required timing is after having the distributor housing off. It is the angular position of the housing that sets the timing.

Do you have an owner's manual? It has what's called a "maintenance schedule" printed in it telling how often plugs etc. should be changed. If you do not have an owner's manual, then to get one, try some of the resources at

.

No, not with this background. At an age of 7.5 years, I would change the plugs, air filter, distributor cap and rotor, and check the resistance of the ignition wires. Oil changes etc. should be done per the maintenance schedule (ignore the advice of dealers re oil changes).

Reply to
Elle

What about the timing belt? Check your manual, as it will either be recommended at 90k or 105k (IIRC).

The PCV valve should be checked each time you do an oil change.

Reply to
Joe LaVigne

It says 105k for timing belt, does that mean I take it in AT 105k or that it needs to be done before, and if it's before how long before?

1000 or 5000 miles?
Reply to
Joe

AT 105k will be fine.

Reply to
Joe LaVigne

I WOULDNT TOUCH THE DISTRIBUTOR CAP UNLESS ITS GIVING YOU A PROBLEM(cracked , hard to start etc.) Theres an old maxim , "if it aint broke dont fix it".

If its 7.5 years old it wouldnt hurt to change the ignition wires with OEM or better

Check your owners manual for timing belt change . Its also wise to get the water pump changed at the same time , the pump is in proximity to the belt(at least it was on my`86 Accord )the labour is the same , you dont want to change the belt ,and then a year or so down the road have to change the pump, with the resulting same labor charge.

All otherposters on here have given you GOOD advice .

Reply to
mred

Yeah I was thinking about changing the water pump at the same time but I also read on other boards about people who had to change their new water pump after another 25k after replacing a perfectly good water pump when they changed their timing belt. I've had a checkered past with water pumps. Almost every car I've had needed one changed every other year. Don't know if it's something I was doing wrong or what but I'm really wary about changing a water pump that's working fine - though it does make sense to change it with the timing belt.

Reply to
Joe

Seesm strange ? I have changed my water pumps when I did the timing belts and never had a problem

I used OEM pumps and the recomended type of anti-freeze(silicon-free) silicon type anti-freeze will eat the impellers and seals on some , including OEM water-pumps.

Reply to
mred