How many Hondas have you owned?

Page 1 of 3
I recently got to thinking about the Hondas I've owned and how the cars have changed over the years. When I bought my first one, Hondas had a well-earned reputation for high reliability and economy coupled with
innovative engineering. I still have trouble believing that a top-of- the-line Civic is now a $20K+ car - it wasn't that long ago that fully- loaded Accords barely breached that price.
Hondas I've owned:
82 Prelude, bought in late 1986 to replace a '76 Plymouth Duster whose frame had cracked. I'd gone to a few dealers hoping to find a clean Civic 1500 S, but there were none to be had, and a salesman convinced me to test-drive a Prelude instead. An uninsured driver drove right through a red light in 1990, and I t-boned him at about 30mph, totaling my car less than a month after I'd had the engine completely rebuilt.
83 Accord sedan - bought for $400 in 1992 when I was short of cash but also needed a beater for the times when my usual two-wheeled transport (another Honda, a CB750F) wouldn't suffice. The engine wouldn't rev above 3000rpm without starting to stutter and then die completely. It was fine on city streets, but was unsafe to drive on the freeway. Drove it for about six months as it was and sold it for what I paid for it.
80 Accord sedan - bought in 1993 for $500 for my wife, as a short-term replacement for her VW Rabbit that was totaled by yet another red-light- running uninsured driver. I wish I still had this car - it was in that distinctive shade of light metallic green that was a popular factory paint color with Hondas then.
86 Accord LXi hatchback - bought in early 1995 for my wife. Owned until 2003 with the only major problem being a broken (5-speed manual) transmission that required replacement with a rebuilt one. Still ran well when we sold it, but the AC had quit working a couple of years previously, and as it was 17 years old she decided she'd rather have a newer vehicle with fewer maintenance issues.
90 CRX Si - bought in 1993 with roughly 20K miles on it. Still my daily driver, with just over 126K miles now. Like the 86 Accord, at nearly 17 it's started to have an increasing number of age-related problems that I'm either going to have to address soon or decide to buy a new car (probable suspension rebuild, AC quit working a year ago, a couple of patches of rust on the A-pillar and sunroof, some original rubber parts decaying, and other cosmetic issues). My favorite out of all the Hondas I've had.
99 Accord EX V6 sedan - bought in 2003 as a replacement for our 86 Accord. Just recently passed 90K miles, and hope to continue driving it for many more years (keeping my fingers crossed on the well-known transmission issues). Plenty of room, very comfortable in the European sense (stiffer suspension than many other Japanese or American sedans), more than adequate power for almost every situation.
Hondas I'd like to own: I'd really like to keep the CRX and completely rebuild it into a serious weekend hot rod (suspension and braking upgrades and an engine swap for a tuned, naturally-aspirated B-series motor in the 250HP range). Replacing it for a daily driver would be a new Fit Sport (the true successor to the older-generation Civics), but I don't see that happening until the supply increases enough to where they're commonplace on dealer lots and better deals are being made.
I'd also like to restore a 1st- or 2nd-gen Civic. These used to be plentiful, but now you hardly ever see one on the street. And every time I sit in an S2000, I want one, but then reality sets in after I remember the price tag. Beautiful cars, but like the new Civics, I always start thinking of what else I could get for the same amount of money or less.
So, how many Hondas have you owned, and which ones would you like to own?
Dave
Nice history, Dave.
I have just my 1991 Civic LX sedan, bought new. I think in a few years, I sure would like a low mileage c. 1990 CRX, 'cause I could work on it myself and keep my gas bills low. But I doubt I can find one with under 100k in my area. I will probably buy a new Fit/Jazz or Toyota Yaris when my 91 Civic's engine or body gives up the proverbial ghost.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.earthlink.net says...

It's hard to find clean, unmolested CRXs at a reasonable price. I've been monitoring eBay for some time to see what shows up there, and a stock CRX with low miles for its age always fetches a premium. I've also seen a fair number of nicely-done modified ones there, but for every one like that, there are half a dozen more hideous hack jobs that are either "all show and no go" or just plain ill-conceived.
I saw an Si a while back that could've almost passed for brand-new, both under the hood and on the outside. IIRC, it sold for close to $8K.
Dave
Dave Garrett wrote: I've

    I look at autotrader.com and cars .com. Any other sites i should visit? bob
snipped-for-privacy@neo.rr.com says...

autotrader.com is the only one I'm at all familiar with besides eBay. I've heard other people recommend craigslist, if you have one available that covers your area - you can see the areas covered in Ohio here:
http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/oh
Dave

4 so far.
1984 Accord 1992 Accord 2002 Accord 2006 CRV
The last 3 are still in the family.
Bruce.

snip
#1 - 1976 CVCC Civic. Ran it until it totally rusted out at 160K
#2 - 1979 CVCC Civic station wagon. The worst Honda I ever owned. Had a lot of concealed abuse by the previous owner. I almost had it crushed just so no one else would experience its horror but then I received a good offer to sell as a part car.
#3 - 1983 Honda Civic FE. Currently on lay-up until a minor title issue gets resolved. Averages 41 mpg in mixed driving
#4 - 1982 Honda Civic ? (four speed) bare bones car purchased for $200 as a parts car for the '83 FE. Damned thing just runs too good to relegate it to disassembly. In use daily for perhaps the next year.
JT
Dave Garrett wrote:

'78 Accord Hatchback '86 Civic Hatchback '88 Accord LXi '05 CR-V SE
Dave Garrett wrote:

         First one I ever drove was a 86 Accord LX-i four door 5 speed. Belonged to a good friend, and I loved it from the first second in it.     Bought a 88 Accord DX 5 speed (new), maroon, for the wife. Wife drove it till I found a REAL NICE 86 LX-i for her that she loved. Sold the 88 DX for more than I owed on it after two years.     Bought an 87 DX Accord hatchback 5 speed about a year later for myself with about 90K on it and learned about leaking water pumps and timing belts. Drove the car 25,000 miles a year for three years.     Traded the 87 DX for a 89 Black Prelude with low miles on it. Found out much later that the car was a wreck repair . The front was a black car, the rear was a red car. Road like a hay wagon, and had some water leaks. Traded the 'Lude on my present Accord in mid September of '92. It was a new 92 Accord LX two door five speed White with blue interior. Currently 235k on it and the rust is starting to brake my heart. I find myself looking at '92 and '93 White two door Accords for sale on the WWW.     Can't remember when, but traded the wife's 86 for a 89 SE-i Bronze beauty. She drove it till about three years ago. She wanted a nice new car, so I let her pick one out. She chose a 03 Mazda Protg 5 in BRIGHT YELLOW. She loves it, and people tell her how cute it is all the time.     Now the kids.     Found a Civic hatchback for the first son when he started driving. had it about a year, and sold it for more than I paid for it. Found a nice 84 Accord SE-i for him that he drove back and forth to Ohio University till an idiot smashed into it and I got him a 89 Accord LX four door that he drove for four more years till he bought a three year old 98 Accord two door green that he has now     Second son got a 84 Accord LX when the started driving. I learned about leaking carb floats on that one. When that car rusted out, the next door neighbor was selling a 86 Civic wagon, brown. He drove that one till the clutch and head both went out. I sold it "as is" and found him a 90 DX Accord two door ,red from a co-worker. He put about three or four years on it, and I sold it and found him a nice '93 Accord LX two door in Maryland last year.     Sister #1 has had a 86, 89 and 98 Prelude (all red ones). Sister #4 had a nice "89 Accord LX-i two door in light green for a while. Mom bought a 95 Accord new , and after she died in '03, my brother across town got it. I think that's it. bob
1. 1967 65cc motor bike.
2. Uncertain year used 305cc motorcycle (owned in early 70's)
3. 1979 4dr Accord - first year for the sedan. After plunking down a $25.00 deposit, and choosing between the two available colors (Silver and Maroon), and the two avalable options (air conditioning and better radio/cassette), I waited 6 months for it to arrive. Got totalled in a rear ender sandwich in 1985 with 125,000 miles on it. ;-)
4. 1986 Acura Integra 4dr hatchback (first registered Acura owner in Rhode Island).
5. 1989 4dr Accord LXI
6. 1999 Craftsman mower with Honda engine.
7. 2003 4dr Accord EX
Bob
207.14.116.130:
<snip>

Just one.
I bought my '91 Integra because Toyota in '91 didn't have anything I wanted, and the Integra's styling was way cool to this 3-time Corolla owner.
Still got the 'Teg. 278,000 miles.
The good Lord willin', she'll be my daily driver for many years to come. One day I wanna be in a Honda ad with my million-mile Integra.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Started in Tokyo in 1967 with a 305cc CL 77 scrambler and replaced it with a 68 350 I shipped to the States. Remember seeing the CB 750 for the 1st time in Dec 68 at the Tokyo motorshow -- a real show stopped and amazing for the time. 1970 CB 750 (cost less than the Triumph Bonneville I had before which was stolen by a bunch of local thugs -- Harley riders) 1973 CB 750 1978 750F -- a shared experience I see and also my last motorcycle. 1989 Civic 1990 Integra 1992 Accord LX 5 spd 1999 Accord LX 5 spd 1999 Accord EX auto (wife's) 2001 Prelude 2003 Pilot (wife's) 2006 Accord coupe I4 auto
own?

I sense a pattern here. :-)
I still have my 750F, although it's been in storage for six years and would take some effort to get running again. Yet another project I really need to tackle. It's an '81 that was modified considerably by its previous owner, a roadracer who used it as his streetbike. It has a big- bore kit to punch it out to 836cc, a Kerker 4-into-1, a Corbin Gunfighter seat matching the factory paint colors, tweaked carbs off a 900F with K&Ns, Superbike bars, and probably a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting right now. By modern standards it's overweight and slow, but it was plenty fast for me when it was my sole transportation for a few years.
I still want a CBX - saw this amazing custom one recently in a bike mag:
http://www.cycleworld.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id "1
And if I ever win the lottery, an RC166 - still a near-unsurpassed engineering achievement forty years later, and still the most spine- tingling sound ever to emanate from anything on two wheels. Speaking of engine sounds, Honda's Japanese website has a very interesting section called "The Sound of Honda" where you can listen to many different Hondas (both street and racing, motorcycles and cars) running at speed:
http://www.honda.co.jp/SoundofHonda /
Dave
says...

with a

time
the
was
The CBX -- still amazing and the RC 166 ( and I think there was also a 266 6 cylinder) are technical achievements still amazing today. I keep toying with the idea of finding an older Honda 4 cylinder (air cooled) -- and not a sport bike. The 750 successor to the orginal SOHC of the early 80s interests me. Problem is to find one that is decent. I never modified my 750F but made a few changes to an earlier K series with a AAA collector system and lower BMW bars. Sounded like a baby Jag. But I still fondly think on the 305 Type 1 scrambler I had in Japan -- rode it all over the countryside because driving a car was a real pain with the traffic as it was. I remember you could make it from Fuchu AS to Tachikawa in about 30 minutes on a bike vs over an hour for a car because you could run down those narrow streets a car could not go. But I was in my twenties then and now -- 65. Where has it all gone. Just great memories.

The RC174 was the other inline-6 - it had a 297cc engine and raced in the 350cc class. Check out this article about a guy in the UK who built a half-dozen exact replicas of the RC174 from scratch, each of which was sold for close to $500,000!
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/features/122_honda_rc174_six /
Dave
1973 CT70 - still have today...licensed and road worthy. 1978 CB750 - sold in 1989. 1989 Nighthawk 650...totaled by some clown who pulled out in front of me (I had a nasty knee/leg injury). 1990 XR500 - stolen in 1992...not insured, never recovered (grrrrrr). 1990 Accord - sold last year, after my youngest daughter went off to school. 1992 VF 500 Interceptor - sold in 1994 1994 Accord - best car I ever owned...oldest daughter totaled it in '05 1995 VFR 1000 - sold in 2000. 1998 Accord - sold in 2004. 2003 Acura TL-S - sitting in the garage right now

Oh, and my wife's 2003 S2000 - Funest street legal car I have ever driven.

In 1971, I bought one of the first Hondas ever imported into the United States. Most people at that time had never heard of a Honda car. Outside of California, they were not generally available.
http://members.cox.net/ljvideo/images/Honda_AN600.jpg
That car was about $1,300 new.
Since then, I've had four, if you include our current Acura TL. I've also had a lot of other cars...

"I've come here to enjoy nature. Don't talk to me

That was pretty inexpensive. My dad's 1970 Ford Custom 500 (low-end Galaxie) cost $2,200 new, and his was totally base outside a trailer-towing package and the 351W engine.
I've never seen the 600 from the rear, so thanks for the pic. Looks like it had a US-style single red lamp for tail/brake/signal, no? I wonder what they did for the UK market, which required amber signals from 1965.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Most likely, the rear fog lamp.