How many Hondas have you owned?

Page 2 of 3
@DE.LETE.THISljvideo.com says...

Cool! I forgot about the 600s - I've always been curious about them, even though I'm pretty sure I couldn't fit into one, at 6'1" and 200lbs.
Dave
said:

I'm 6'-0" and was about 180 at the time. I fit in it quite comfortably. It had a deceptive amount of room, kinda like the original Mini-Cooper...

"I've come here to enjoy nature. Don't talk to me
Larry in AZ wrote:

In late 1969, I headed a photographic expedition to Micronesia and a Honda 600 was our rental unit in Palau for six weeks. Couldn't kill it despite it had no brakes for nearly the entire time!
JT
Waiving the right to remain silent, Grumpy AuContraire

I bet it had the chain drive. That wasn't allowed in the US, or the car might have been imported here earlier. We had to wait for a real drive train.

"I've come here to enjoy nature. Don't talk to me
Larry in AZ wrote:

Could well be since it was an air cooled motorcycle engine..
JT
|I recently got to thinking about the Hondas I've owned and how the cars | have changed over the years. When I bought my first one, Hondas had a | well-earned reputation for high reliability and economy coupled with | innovative engineering. I still have trouble believing that a top-of- | the-line Civic is now a $20K+ car - it wasn't that long ago that fully- | loaded Accords barely breached that price. | | Hondas I've owned: | | 82 Prelude, bought in late 1986 to replace a '76 Plymouth Duster whose | frame had cracked. I'd gone to a few dealers hoping to find a clean | Civic 1500 S, but there were none to be had, and a salesman convinced me | to test-drive a Prelude instead. An uninsured driver drove right through | a red light in 1990, and I t-boned him at about 30mph, totaling my car | less than a month after I'd had the engine completely rebuilt. | | 83 Accord sedan - bought for $400 in 1992 when I was short of cash but | also needed a beater for the times when my usual two-wheeled transport | (another Honda, a CB750F) wouldn't suffice. The engine wouldn't rev | above 3000rpm without starting to stutter and then die completely. It | was fine on city streets, but was unsafe to drive on the freeway. Drove | it for about six months as it was and sold it for what I paid for it. | | 80 Accord sedan - bought in 1993 for $500 for my wife, as a short-term | replacement for her VW Rabbit that was totaled by yet another red-light- | running uninsured driver. I wish I still had this car - it was in that | distinctive shade of light metallic green that was a popular factory | paint color with Hondas then. | | 86 Accord LXi hatchback - bought in early 1995 for my wife. Owned until | 2003 with the only major problem being a broken (5-speed manual) | transmission that required replacement with a rebuilt one. Still ran | well when we sold it, but the AC had quit working a couple of years | previously, and as it was 17 years old she decided she'd rather have a | newer vehicle with fewer maintenance issues. | | 90 CRX Si - bought in 1993 with roughly 20K miles on it. Still my daily | driver, with just over 126K miles now. Like the 86 Accord, at nearly 17 | it's started to have an increasing number of age-related problems that | I'm either going to have to address soon or decide to buy a new car | (probable suspension rebuild, AC quit working a year ago, a couple of | patches of rust on the A-pillar and sunroof, some original rubber parts | decaying, and other cosmetic issues). My favorite out of all the Hondas | I've had. | | 99 Accord EX V6 sedan - bought in 2003 as a replacement for our 86 | Accord. Just recently passed 90K miles, and hope to continue driving it | for many more years (keeping my fingers crossed on the well-known | transmission issues). Plenty of room, very comfortable in the European | sense (stiffer suspension than many other Japanese or American sedans), | more than adequate power for almost every situation. | | Hondas I'd like to own: I'd really like to keep the CRX and completely | rebuild it into a serious weekend hot rod (suspension and braking | upgrades and an engine swap for a tuned, naturally-aspirated B-series | motor in the 250HP range). Replacing it for a daily driver would be a | new Fit Sport (the true successor to the older-generation Civics), but I | don't see that happening until the supply increases enough to where | they're commonplace on dealer lots and better deals are being made. | | I'd also like to restore a 1st- or 2nd-gen Civic. These used to be | plentiful, but now you hardly ever see one on the street. And every time | I sit in an S2000, I want one, but then reality sets in after I remember | the price tag. Beautiful cars, but like the new Civics, I always start | thinking of what else I could get for the same amount of money or less. | | So, how many Hondas have you owned, and which ones would you like to | own? | | Dave | My first Honda was a Lime Green 1975 Honda Civic. It was the four speed and it got 30 mpg in town and on the highway. No air conditioning, but the ventilation was pretty good. No problem in California, but pretty sweaty in Key West Florida. My second Honda was a 1984 Accord. I had ordered a 1983 and was on the waiting list (sound familiar?) when the dealer said I could have a 1984 for the same price as the 1983. My third Honda would be a Honda Fit if it wasn't for the short supply.

But the new Civics are larger and more powerful than the old Accords!
87 Accord sedan 4 stick (should have traded for a Prelude mid-90's, and/or the Accord coupe circa 1998, but hadn't yet discovered the wonders of leasing) 99+ Acura CL Coupe 6 auto 2004 Accord sedan 4 auto 2007 Accord sedan 4 auto
Wouldn't mind an RL, especially if they ever drop a V8 into it (and someone drops an extra $50k into my bank account), would probably prefer the TSX to my Accord, but the premium fuel requirement puts me off, and I'd even more like to own and ride some of the two-wheel Hondas, but probably never will, sigh. For that matter, I'd like the Civic Si sedan, but I'd probably end up spinning and totalling it the second I actually put my foot into it. Never have trusted myself with anything seriously fast on the road, and would want a better weight distribution if I did.
Looking forward to the 2027 Accord with 100% auto-navigation, you nap in the back while it takes you where you're going.
J.

Not likely, unfortunately. http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-5007.html
A Honda V8 would be really something, but it looks like they're going to stall at a 3.5L V6. Too bad.
I prefer Honda's early-'90s high-tech approach to their current enviro/safety angle.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Yeah I know already, just sayin'.
Of course I once lusted after a six-cylinder Alfa. Then they went and built (eg, imported) one, and I wouldn't touch it. WTH, my Accord I4 puts out more horsepower than that old 3-liter Alfa. Tech.
High gas prices, Honda proud of fleet mileage, RL not selling anyway, NSX forgotten - but it would let Acura hold its head up compared to Lexus and Infiniti, which it really doesn't, right now.
Imagine, if you will, the S2000 scaled up to compete with the Z8. They don't have to sell enough to ruin the fleet mileage.

Just waiting for the Honda Bots http://asimo.honda.com/index.asp?bhcp=1
And Honda Jets http://hondajet.honda.com /
J.
snipped-for-privacy@gte.net says...

GTV6, Milano, or 164? I failed to mention that after my Prelude was totaled, I used the insurance money to buy a GTV6. A guy I knew had one, and once I drove it I knew I had to have one. It was a fantastic machine - when it was running. I think it spent more time in the shop than it did on the road, and it was an early model to boot, so it had more than the usual share of Alfa problems. I can't say I didn't know what I was getting into when I bought it, but I'd had enough after a couple of years and sold it after having sunk more money than I care to remember into it.

I used to daydream about what I envisioned as the ultimate Honda: a mid- engine CRX with AWD and a 2-liter V8 that would rev to 10K+rpm.
Honda really was a different company back in the days when engineers actually ascended through the ranks to the highest levels of management.
Dave
First Honda car I ever saw was in Oakland Califiornia. It was a three wheeler that looked like a cross between a motorcycle and a car. I think this was around 1971 or 1972.
My first Honda car was a 1975 CVCC Civic that cost $3.500 out the door. I can remember driving an earlier model while mine was in for maintenance. I think it was a 1974 Honda that had the worst torque steer I've ever felt. I was amazed at how much improved my 1975 was over this earlier model.
My next Honda was a 1984 Accord that cost me $10,500 with tax and license. I had ordered a 1983, but the model year changed while I was on the waiting list and I was offered the chance to buy a 1984 for just $300 more.
I made a visit to my local Honda dealership today, looking for a Honda Fit but there wasn't one on the lot. While I was there I checked out the Civics and Accords. The Civics are selling for around MSRP and the Accords are selling for around $2000 below MSRP. I think the Accords are discounted because this is the last model year for that design.
My first Honda was a 1999 Honda Accord EX V6 Sedan, which I got new and leased for 3.5 years. My second Honda was a 2002 Honda Civic EX Sedan Auto, which I also leased to replace the Accord 99'. Now I have a 2005 Honda Accord EX Sedan Auto. So far all have been great cars.
The 99' Accord had a transmission brake switch problem that had to be replaced 2 times and the car also started to knock at about 36k miles even with using quality fuel.
The 2002 Civic had a trunk latch that was defective from the factory and had to be replaced after having had it attempted to be repaired a couple of times. Then soon before I traded it in the complete heating system (fan and all components) had to be replaced due to a major defect.
The 2005 Accord has been the best so far. The only thing that was wrong so far is that the console hinge needed to be replaced due to a faulty hinge which made the second level half open at times.
Al
1974 Civic CVCC,used
1977 Accord HB,new;had paint blister problem,also wiped a cam lobe and not covered under warranty,IMO,it should have been covered.
1982 Accord HB,new
1986 Prelude SI,new great car,paint did not last long under the Florida sun;clearcoat degraded fast.
1990 Prelude SI,140HP motor(not the lesser SI2.0 motor),new;damaged by hail and never the same after
1994 Integra 3drHB GSR,new. both rear side window frames(trim) warped outward at rear corner;looks to be common,after examining other Integras.
I wish Honda had not stopped making the Prelude,the last model was nice.
Currently,Honda/Acura makes NO auto that I would own.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

hail
Manuals are tough to find. Should imagine you would have to special order one.

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 10:02:16 -0500, tww wrote:

Every dealer around here generally has a full assortment of models with a manual tranny...
I can't think of anything that I looked at this June, on the lot, that didn't have something close to it in a manual.
Joe

order
Every time I go in for service at my local Honda dealer I look through the lot and may find one Civic with a manual. Last Sat -- not a one.
tww wrote:

When I bought my Civic last month, there was a 2002 Acura RSX sitting next to it at the dealer. I had a quick peak inside it, and to my surprise it was an automatic! I don't think I have ever seen an automatic RSX or Prelude, even though I know it was available.
On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 07:40:47 -0500, tww wrote:

The dealers around here do not have a lot of civic's to begin with. There are always a few, though, and about half seem to be manual, my guess being that they probably move a bit more slowly.
There are also plenty of Accord's on the lot, and probably about 10-15% of them are Manual...

I meant they make no vehicle that I want to own as an only car. Maybe a S2000 if I could afford a 2nd car.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Dave Garrett wrote:

I have owned 2 so far.
1993 Accord LX (Canadian version, similar to the U.S. DX) 4-door, white. Bought it in early 2000 with 141,000km (88,000 miles) on it. Excellent car, very good gas mileage for its class. It was very reliable for the most part, although it had quite a few nagging issues over the past year (mainly exhaust and suspension). I traded it in last month with 242,000km (150,000 miles) on it.
2004 Civic LX 4-door, dark grey. Bought it last month with 39,000km (24,000 miles) on it and have already added 7,000km (4,300 miles) to it. Love the gas mileage; been averaging 36-40mpg on the highway, depending on the outside temperature.
As for most desired Honda, I'm struggling to save my pennies to buy an S2000. :-)