How much is this car worth? 90 Civic 25K

This is the ultimate Little Old Lady's car. It is my mother's car and she is giving up driving at 82. I need to figure out what to ask for it and/or what to sell it to her neighbor/neighbor's daughter for.

The car is a 1990 Civic DX(?) certainly the bottom of the trim line.
4 on the floor Light bluish silver.
No options No radio No antennae No AC No PS No PW No PL No tach No cigarette lighter
If you don't need it, it ain't got it. At least it won't break.
Vinyl interior has a couple small holes in driver's seat. Otherwise interior is VG to EX.
Body has a broad dent in one door that looks like it could be popped out. A couple of moderate rust areas in front of rear wheels but it seems to be just cosmetic at this point. Otherwise paint and body are VG despite never being garaged.
Tires are ten years old, 3 M+S, 1 other. Lots of tread but they should be replaced.
Brakes look brand new in front. However, there is a slight vibration when braking at high speed (~60). I am kind of hoping that it is tire related. Didn't open up the drums but rear brakes and hand brake work very well.
Engine runs strong and seems smoother now that I have been driving it every day and got some fresh gas in it. I want to put some injector cleaner in the gas to see if that improves it further but I dont really know how smooth it ever was. It is not bad, just not like the GS-R. It has a problem with the idle when the engine and weather are warm, it alternates between normal, surging and hyper (~2200 rpm).
Transmission shifts well. Clutch is light and smooth.
Everything else pretty much works like new. I will probably get it caught up on maintenance I can do myself and fix a few cheap items and get quotes on the others
--
satyr #1953
Chairman, EAC Church Taxation Subcommittee
Gordon McGrew wrote:

The fact that it has vinyl seats indicates that it's a standard model (usually noted as "STD") not a DX. This should make a difference when you get quotes from http://www.kbb.com or some other source.
Eric
Gordon McGrew wrote:

Gordon, IMHO, you have one of those vehicles that's going to be worth more to the owner than to anyone else. If a Honda fan was looking for specifically your type of vehicle, I think you should be happy with $1,500-$2k. Buff it out and throw some new PepBoys tires on, so it's really ready "needs nothing/drive home today". If you're patient, you'll find that person who really wants the car. To me, you got a diamond. But it's worth only what someone's willing to pay- I know you've heard that before.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

there are enough hondaphiles around the USA that would drool over a practically "new" honda like that... especially that configuration, with the hatch.
toss it on ebay for $1995 starting bid, see if anyone bites!
tips:
do NOT ship (duh) CASH on pickup have all paperwork on hand
fixing the dent would be more than the value of the car.
Sell it cheap to the neighbor kid and make a friend. (300-500)
Gordon McGrew wrote:

.... wrote:

helllll no. theyll rice it out. neighbor kids always do.
With 25k on the clock, there could be plenty of life left in the car. Sounds like it needs tires -$250 and should have timing belt replaced -$500(?)
Ask $2500 or more.
p.s. nothing good can come from selling this car to your neighbor's daughter.
Gordon McGrew wrote:

-- Tp,
-------- __o ----- -\<. -------- __o --- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<. -------------------- ( )/ ( ) -----------------------------------------
No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...
<snip>

then they'd get sticky whenever anything went wrong... which always happens with any car. Sell it to a stranger.
Mike
TomP wrote:

they always rice it and/or wreck it. then you have to see it all the time, and itll leave a hole in the pit of your stomach. best to sell it via ebay to someone out of the area.
On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 10:52:24 -0700, SoCalMike

I think the daughter is a little older than you are thinking. I have never met her, only talked to her mother once by phone and my mother is moving so I wouldn't expect to ever hear form them again.
Gordon McGrew wrote:

Well then... sounds like you've found the ol'girl a new home.
-- Tp,
-------- __o ----- -\<. -------- __o --- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<. -------------------- ( )/ ( ) -----------------------------------------
No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...
Gordon McGrew wrote:

id give it a full tune, all filters, etc. then see what kbb and edmunds say about it. sounds like an excellent commuter!
off the top of my head, i think itd get about $3000 to $4000 in southern california.
SoCalMike wrote:

3 to 4k for a 90 civic dx?
I was thinking of asking 4k for my 90 Integra LS with 74k miles... maybe I'm thinking too cheap?
-- Tp,
No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

Vinyl interior and 4-speed manual indicate it is a "base" model, not even a DX (which has cloth interior and a 5-speed manual).
Why not just put it in the pricing web sites and then subtract the cost of any needed repairs (like replacing the 10+ year old tires, fixing the idle, fixing the holes in the seat, and pushing out the dent) to get an estimate?
Timothy J. Lee