How much to replace an 96 Honda civic engine?

Threaded View

hello everyone,
The engine of my car has past away.
Does someone know how much it would cost to change it?
It’s an 96 honda civic EX, 1.6l 4 cylinder, VTECH with manual
transmission
By the way I live in chicago, if somebody know a good mechanic place.
Thanks a lot,
malo

Re: How much to replace an 96 Honda civic engine?

For a good used replacement, parts and labor, a couple of grand, easy. A
rebuild of your existing unit will be double that, assuming it's
rebuildable.

Did you run it dry of oil? Overheat it?

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Re: Re: How much to replace an 96 Honda civic engine?

"TeGGeR®" wrote:

 > > hello everyone,
 > > The engine of my car has past away.
 > > Does someone know how much it would cost to change it?
 > > It’s an 96 honda civic EX, 1.6l 4 cylinder, VTECH with
 > manual
 > > transmission
 > > By the way I live in chicago, if somebody know a good
 > mechanic place.
 >
 >
 >
 > For a good used replacement, parts and labor, a couple of
 > grand, easy. A
 > rebuild of your existing unit will be double that, assuming
 > it's
 > rebuildable.
 >
 > Did you run it dry of oil? Overheat it?
 >
 > --
 > TeGGeR®
 >
 > The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
 > www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

yes, I ran dry of oil. The oil signal sensor was missfunctionning, and
I didnt apply the advices to change oil every at least every 3 month
:oops:.
Now I’ve to pay it...
I’ve found a mecanic who proposed me to change it for 1900$, with an
used engine.
Is it reasonable?
I’ve found another mecanic who say he can change it for 1300$, but
with a 1.5l instead of 1.6l. How is that possible? Does it worth to do
that?
Thanks
malo

Re: Re: How much to replace an 96 Honda civic engine?

It depends on the price of used engine. Its 9 years old and can be expected
to have done in the order of 100,000 mile. Unless the mechanic can hear it
running, you need to replace the cam belt and waterpump, and possibly pull
the head and service it. Labout is taking the old engine out (3-4 hours) and
putting the engine back in and getting it running properly, 4-6 hours. Lets
say 8 hours and the engine needs no work. Add another 3 hours or so plus
parts if it does. Whats a basic 96 VTEC engine worth? $500 ?

Steer clear of this one: for starters you'll have less performance, and
there's all the other stuff thats just a little but different eg air
filters, possible some wiring, certainly the ECU. How about reduced resale
value.

Stewart DIBBS

Site Timeline