How much to replace an 96 Honda civic engine?

hello everyone, The engine of my car has past away. Does someone know how much it would cost to change it? Its an 96 honda civic EX, 1.6l 4 cylinder, VTECH with manual
transmission By the way I live in chicago, if somebody know a good mechanic place. Thanks a lot, malo

For a good used replacement, parts and labor, a couple of grand, easy. A rebuild of your existing unit will be double that, assuming it's rebuildable.
Did you run it dry of oil? Overheat it?
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
"TeGGeR" wrote:
> [...]
yes, I ran dry of oil. The oil signal sensor was missfunctionning, and I didnt apply the advices to change oil every at least every 3 month :oops:. Now Ive to pay it... Ive found a mecanic who proposed me to change it for 1900$, with an used engine. Is it reasonable? Ive found another mecanic who say he can change it for 1300$, but with a 1.5l instead of 1.6l. How is that possible? Does it worth to do that? Thanks malo

It depends on the price of used engine. Its 9 years old and can be expected to have done in the order of 100,000 mile. Unless the mechanic can hear it running, you need to replace the cam belt and waterpump, and possibly pull the head and service it. Labout is taking the old engine out (3-4 hours) and putting the engine back in and getting it running properly, 4-6 hours. Lets say 8 hours and the engine needs no work. Add another 3 hours or so plus parts if it does. Whats a basic 96 VTEC engine worth? $500 ?

Steer clear of this one: for starters you'll have less performance, and there's all the other stuff thats just a little but different eg air filters, possible some wiring, certainly the ECU. How about reduced resale value.
Stewart DIBBS