How to check 2001 Civic Engine code

Where do I find the ECU and can I check the engine code from jumping a service connector like on the 2000 civic? Also can I reset a engine code by removing and replacing a fuse instead of removing and replacing the battery connection?

2001 Civic Sedan DX

thanks

Reply to
JEHU

Anyone?

Even if you just know where to find the ECU?

Reply to
JEHU

"JEHU" wrote in news:KNJhg.21556$I61.19165@clgrps13:

Hol' on here. We're all volunteers. Be patient. Be grateful for what you get. It's all FREE and WE get paid nothing.

Your car is OBD-II, so you need an OBD-II code reader. AutoZone will read the code for free, and other places might too.

Ah, but you, I notice, are in Canada, as am I. AutoZone has not migrated up here yet. Canadian Tire has launched an AZ wannabe called PartsSource. You may want to see if they will read the code for free for you. Otherwise you have to pay somebody, or buy a code reader yourself. I have not yet had the misfortune to have to distill codes from our family's OBD-II vehicle, so cannot speak from personal experience.

Prior to your car's generation, the code could still be read with the "Check Engine light flash" method. This does not appear to be possible with your car. (Corrections are welcome.)

Get in the Zone...Au-To-Zone...

Reply to
TeGGeR®

THANKS Tegger!

Sorry for sounding impatient I really don't mean to.

Actually it is my friends car, my car is a 2000 Civic SiR with a Jackson racing SC so I have had to troubleshoot a few engine codes on my car (OBD-II). I have jumped my service connector in by my ECU under the passenger side kick panel and found trouble codes that way. Though I must say that way doesn't seem to be very reliable in that the code that is shows me is not necessarily the code that is shown on a reader... prob just me not reading the flashes right.

So what I guess I am getting at is can that sort of thing be done on a 2001 and if so where is the ecu and service connector?

I was on your site there for a while today and looking at obddiagnostics.com and their neat cable to hook up to a laptop to check and reset codes. Doesn't seem that we Canadians can order from them though. I guess I could get someone to build me one with the schematic.

Dave

Reply to
JEHU

"JEHU" wrote in news:2dDhg.33388$JX1.22238@edtnps82:

the ECU is behind the glove compartment The manual says it is possible to get the codes by grounding the SCS line at the diagnostic connector (brown wire) to ground (black wire). I haven't tried it, though. To reset codes. turn ignition off and remove fuse #6 in the under hood fuse box (marked ECM/PCM). Dont forget this will clear "readiness " status and the car will have to be driven until they are set before you can pass inspection. The problem is that almost but not all OBDII codes are availible this way and I have not seen this info outside of a factory service manual, as everyone now uses scanners instead of counting blinks of the MIL like we did twenty years ago. If there is enough interest I could post the MIL code to OBDII code crossovers. (MIL is the Malfunction Indicator Light, I.E. Check engine light) Suggest you get a factory manual and read a lot before you jump in, you may decide you are better off paying a good mechanic. Scott

Reply to
scott

"JEHU" wrote

See page 4 of

. I think this is the same for a 2001 Civic. Not the greatest drawing, but if you look for the ECU brackets, you might find it:

See item #4. IIRC, it's on the left of the front passenger's footwell.

Reply to
Elle

Thanks for all the info.

Reply to