how to fix small scratches?

Hi Group,
I just realized that my 05' civic got scratched in the rear passenger end. I've parked it in a parking lot. When I got back from a recent
trip, it looked it some dude did not bother leaving a name.
I'd like to fix this as soon as possible. My question is, do I need to bring it to a dealer and ask them to take care of it? The scratches are not big, but they are kind of completely through. Since I am kind of short short on cash in this holiday season, I hope to keep the cost low... Is there any alternative than going to a dealer? Can I do it by myself? I'd be grateful if you could shed me some light. Thanks!
Best Regards, Doug
On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 20:21:12 -0800, Doug wrote:

Go to the dealer and get the can of touch-up paint. Usually around $10-12 for a lipstick-sized can.
You can take either take this to a local collision shop, or do it yourself. Just put a thin coat on with the edge if the brush. Let it dry completely, then buff with white compound on a soft cloth until it is pretty much invisible.
Small scratches like that are tough to completely hide, but with a little work and patience, you can make it so that you are the only one that sees it... ;-)
For a really nice job, go by your dealer's used car lot and talk to the manager there. Ask him when his paint touch-up people visit the lot, letting him know why. Return when they are there and have it professionally fixed.
Doug wrote:

Doug wrote:

I just noticed one on our 10-day old Odyssey. I plan to take it to the local detailing shop, see if it can be buffed out. They can frequently take care of shallow scratches that way, and perhaps recommend a way to handle deeper ones. I'd do that before approaching the dealer, where any work will cost way more than a non-dealer.
Dan D '07 Odyssey Slate Green