How to get rid of smell in carpet??

Hey all, water seeped up through the floorboard of my 2000 Accord during a flood last summer; now I'm having a big problem with an increasingly bad odor. Any suggestions for how to get rid of it (not the car, the
odor :)) ?
Thanks, Rog
Start with "Febreze," available in the detergents section of your grocery.
Man the weather is taking a toll on cars lately. If it's not the heat, it's the snow. If it's not snowing, someone is recovering from a flood.

Elle wrote:

Unfortunately, "Febreze" won't do squat. You've probably got at least a mildew problem - and maybe mould. From: http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/housing/356-643/356-643.html

It's probably the mould that you smell. That can kill. Have the carpets removed and discarded, thoroughly clean the interior of the vehicle and install new underlay and carpet.

You have to get rid of all the mold and make sure everything under the carpet is dry. Otherwise, the car will rust out.
Also, make sure no water got into the seats.
Jeff
At this point it's too late to salvage the carpet. It's a health issue too. We had the same think hapen in my '96, but the dealer removed the carpet from the car within a day, and it was shampood and dried completely before installing it again. No odors and no rust. The brain box under the seat was trashed. It was an insurance claim. They wanted to total the car (it had 140k on it, but I talked the into repair. Cost was $1700. I have owned this car from new. It now has 181K on it and going strong! I run Synthetick oil, and it only uses about 1/2 qt between changes (which means I never have to add oil).
I have a 2006 EX-V6 NAV, but I drive this old car most of the time. I don't have to worry too much about door dings, and where I park it. Still looks like new though.
Take care of your Honda, and it will take care of you!
G-Man

The best thing is probably to replace the whole carpet. They sell these on ebay, and such. It would cost you less then 1k, and your car will look nice and clear. I doubt there is any other way, because your carpet is full of mildew and has rotten.
--
Drink It. Feel It. Share It.
http://www.monaviedrink.com