How to keep from getting locked out of my Accord

I've got a new 2005 Honda Accord and would like to know the best way to prevent getting locked out. The car has keys with the immobilizer system feature.

Scenario #1 would be, you're 2000 miles from home, the key is on the floor of the vehicle (or in the trunk) and you are locked out.

Scenario #2 would be, somebody stole your bag at the beach and your key was in it.

Back in the old days, I would just carry a spare key in my wallet, but the programmed keys for the Accord are too fat for that. BUT -- could I get a spare key made that is flat and compact for my wallet that would get me back in the vehicle? Then if I had stashed a spare programmed key somewhere inside the car, I would be saved.

Any comments on what would work and on possible strategies without compromising security?

Grommet

Reply to
Grommet

The best bet I know is to hide a spare in the trunk and keep a spare "dumb" key for the trunk the way you always did for the car. I don't know if the trunk is alarmed, but it at least gives you a way to get from the outside to driving your car.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Grommet wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The spare key would still get you into your car-to be able to use the key with the security feature that's on the floor,or wherever.

Chances are,they could use your remote(if you have one) to FIND your car,and then drive off with it,and also have your home address(from the registration) and keys to get into your house.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

If your at the beach then you should have one of those waterproof "wallets" that can hold a key, money, credit cards etc so that it is always with you. It either wraps around your neck or your waist with a secure latching system.

Reply to
halo2 guy

The safest way is to "bite the bullet" and keep a spare key WITH you. I use the programmed key, separately on a plastic key fob, to run the car. The gray spare is on a keyring with my other keys. That gray spare does start the engine.

You asked if there is a flat key available. There probably is. I had one made for a Ford Expedition. I recall that all the flat key was good for was to open the doors, which is really what you want (unless that key won't gain you access to the inside lock to the trunk). For the cost of a flat key (go to a locksmith place) it's worth a try.

Stay conscious: Put the programmed key back in your pocket, not on the floor, the seat, or inside the trunk!! ;-)

Reply to
Howard Lester

-----------------------

Just get a non-immobilizer key cut at the hardware store, cut the plastic 'grip' off it, grind it even smaller, if need be, and carry it in your wallet. I've been doing that for my Dog Caravan for years.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _

Have a second key hidden on the outside of the car, one that's cut from a non-immobilizer blank. That one will get you into the car, but won't start it.

See above. In addition, have a full immobilizer key hidden inside your car somewhere.

See? You're right on the money.

This was discussed years ago at

and everyone came up with the same idea.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

The only problem with hiding a Programmed Key in the vehicle is that thieves will break in and find it. I had a car stolen with the key I had hidden inside just in case I lost my original. Sometimes they just fluke out. What we need to do is find a more convenient way to carry a second bulky original key.

Reply to
G M

Or, have the key made less bulky.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Smith

"G M" wrote in news:d%ude.1193566$Xk.987217@pd7tw3no:

VERY unlikely;thieves break in for stuff they can take quickly.

Where did you hide it? Over the sun visor? Obviously it was somewhere easy to find.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Well of course I'm not as smart as you....I had it hidden in the ignition !

Reply to
G M

On many of these cars you can start the car with a regular key, if you know the magic code and how to enter it. I don't know if the dealer will give out this "tap" code or not, but it's worth a try.

Reply to
Jafir Elkurd