How to remove alternator on 1992 Accord LX

I'm trying to change the head gasket in my car. As part of this I've been taking appart everything I've been told I need to take off (Distributor, Intake manifold, exhaust manifold, etc). Now I'm at the point of getting the timing belt off. To do this I'm told I'm supposed to remove the power steering pump, which I did and the alternator which brings me to my question. I removed two bolts. The Haynes manual calls it a pivot bolt and an adjusting bolt which is under the alternator. It looks like you should be able to slide the alternator down, loosen the belt and then pull the alternator out. It is on some kind of slider. It is not moving down as it is somewhat rusted on that slider thing. Even if it did move down I don't know how to completely remove it. Do you need some kind of special tool?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Please bear with me as this is the first time I attempt something like this and I will probably have a lot more questions.

Reply to
Duarte

IIRC there have been some recent posts here about placing a jack and wood block beneath the oil pan and partly jacking the car at this point, then removing one of the motor mounts, then jacking more to get the extra inch or so of clearance to get the alternator out.

See more discussion in the following threads:

"Duarte" wrote

Reply to
Elle

See the service manual available at