How to replace wiper squeegees?

(2000 Accord ex)

Ok, I thought I'd be smart and replace only the squeegees, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to. The little metal "claws" seem dug into the old squeegees, and I don't see any little clip, locks, releases, buttons, snaps, etc. to release the old squeegee, just solid claws grabbing it. I did notice a metal strip running thru the interior of the installed squeegees--absent on the replacements (purchased at my Honda dealer).

Somebody give me a clue ;)

thanks, Rog

Reply to
Roger

----------------------

It's filed under 'wipers' in the index of the owner's manual. The CRV manual taked two pages of pictures and descriptions to explain it.

I suspect a previous owner may have already changed your wiper assembly to non-Honda stuff if the manual doesn't make sense.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _

Roger wrote in news:roger- snipped-for-privacy@news.east.cox.net:

Some terminology first: The rubber replacement: REFILL The metal part it attaches to: BLADE The arm that bolts to the car: WIPER ARM

Well, first, REMOVE THE ENTIRE BLADE from the wiper arm. It will make things MUCH easier!

Now, if you look at the end of the refill closest to where the wiper arm bolt would be, you'll see a tiny rubber protrusion that surrounds the last metal hook. There's one on either side. This is all that's holding the refill on, and it needs to be seated correctly, otherwise the refill will work loose.

Grab the refill immediately behind the last metal hook and pull hard, but carefully. The rubber will deform, the protrusions will collapse, and the refill will pull loose. A tiny dab of petroleum jelly helps here.

******************** You need to reuse the skinny metal stripss that are in the old refill. Notice they're curved! The curve matches the windshield's curve. ********************

Feed the metal strips into the side channels on the new OEM refills, and carefully holding them in, feed the new OEM refill back into where the old one came from, in exact reverse order of removal. If the metal strips come loose, just push them back in place.

Slide it in carefully, making 100% CERTAIN that you have caught EACH metal hook on BOTH sides! ESPECIALLY the ones at the very end!

Once the new refill is all the way in, a careful PULL (NOT push!) will seat the protrusions around the metal hooks. Don't pull too hard or you'll pull it too far and have to start over. You won't need the petroleum jelly for this step.

By the way, most Hondas have different sized blades for each side of the car. Get them mixed up, and you'll have a dribble at the middle-top of the windshield where they meet.

Good luck.

Reply to
TeGGer®

Roger:

The very first time it looks litle tricky. But all it requires is boldly pulling out the rubber in place, and replacing them with the new ones. DO ONE AT A TIME. Follow the owners manual for instructions -- also, the instructions come on the new wiper blades package too.

I also have a 2000 EX, and found that replacing wiper blades, every 6 months with Honda OEM parts is becoming expensive. So, I decided to go the Walmart way. They cost like $2.44 for two blade refills. 2000 EX takes sizes, 23inch, on the driver side and 19inch on the passenger side.(Confirm these sizes, again with the Walmart wiper guide book.)

Only tricky part is -- if you go with the Walmart wiper inserts, you would notice that they are slightly broader than the Honda OEM refills. Take a nose pliers and broaden the Honda wiper arm metal hooks, to fit the new ones. Once you do this, you can throw away the skinny metal strips of original Honda blades.

refill.

Reply to
SadaYama