hybrid mileage

I have a '04 Civic hybrid that I have been disappointed with the mileage thereof (33-34). Would you that have late model Civic hybrids comment on your mileage experienced - would appreciat it.

Reply to
muzzy
2007 Hybrid Civic with low miles on it and all tanks averaging over 42MPG. Combo city and hwy miles. Recording each tank and miles driven.

Suggestions to consider: - Carrying extra weight in the car you don't need? - Maileage change AC on or off? - Engine well tuned? Air filter OK - IMA batteries OK? - Tires properly inflated?

Might ask your dealer for suggestions as well.

Reply to
Greg Ricker
2007 Civic Hy. avg just over 42 mpg city only..... take a look here

Justbob30

Our '04 Civic hybrid (58K miles) is averaging 43 mpg (approx. 50% Hwy,

50% city)...
Reply to
Spazpop2000

That's about the same as my ancient '83 Civic FE...

JT

Spazp> Our '04 Civic hybrid (58K miles) is averaging 43 mpg (approx. 50% Hwy, > 50% city)...

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Yeah, is your 83 one of the 2 cleanest cars sold in the US & oh, yeah, does it have all the modern amenities of a 07? you know, air bags, anti lock brakes cvt transmission, automatic air conditioning?.....yeah it is green to drive a car till it drops but, 25 years is a long time to be without technology. BTW, my "best" mileage has been in the mid 70's for about 50 miles, heck, I have even sustained 150 for a couple of miles.

Reply to
Justbob30

the point is, an average car back in 1983 got the same mileage as what it takes a SPECIALLY DESIGNED car to get today.

That's called moving backwards.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

My starts up every time, goes where I point it and is comfortable enough for me.

All that other stuff you mentioned is just making something idiot proof (at great cost) which simply encourages the production of more idiots.

Oh, and the FE gets a consistent 50+ mph on the highway.

Lastly, it is a car that I still can maintain and repair when necessary which isn't often. And, it's paid for...

JT

Justbob30 wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Yep, especially when all the new fangled gadgets start going belly up...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

We all measure backwards differently, If you are happy with your 83 more power to you.

Reply to
Justbob30

The special design is called a larger displacement engine.

Reply to
Elle

what does it weigh?

Reply to
jim beam

No, that special design is called a hybrid.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

My `03 civic hybrid gets right at 40 MPG in mostly city-street driving. I record the mileage with every tank. It gets better in the Fall and Spring.

Reply to
Gary Gorbet

Well, I don't know if I'd go so far as to call the Civic FE the "average" car of 1983; I'm betting that most cars of that year (era) weighed more, had a larger displacement engine, seated/hauled more people/cargo...

Even if you were to narrow down your field of vehicles (like big gov does when applying the CAFE regulations), the FE wasn't even the "average" Civic in 1983, was it? Seems to me (and I could be wrong on this, so forgive me if I am), the FE stands for "Fuel Efficient", which means it had to have SOME concessions with regard to the "average" Civic (smaller engine, smaller wheels, narrower tires, lack of some amenities for weight savings, etc.).

I'm not knocking your car, just validating your argument. The FE was the 80s attempt at obtaining better fuel efficiency. The hybrids of today are approaching the same problem from a different perspective. The important thing to remember is that, whether you agree with one particular approach or not, the *effort* to improve mileage is to be commended, not slammed.

If you really want to start a bragging war- I ride my bike to/from the grocery store= INFINITY mpg (and bikes were invented long before the FE)...

Reply to
Spazpop2000

jeeeeeez - sure would be nice to get some answers to the question posed - what's with you jerks?

Reply to
muzzy

Since most everyone responded to you "question" ("comment on your mileage experienced") by giving the mileage they experienced, that's obviously what we thought you wanted. If not, perhaps you could be less of a jerk and explain more clearly what it is you *do* want.

Reply to
Gary Gorbet

I gave you my mileage & a link to greenhybrid, sooooory you thought me a jerk.

Reply to
Justbob30

Yep in combination with heavier vehicle weight.

JT

(Lean 'n mean is best!)

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire