hybrid mileage

Page 1 of 2
I have a '04 Civic hybrid that I have been disappointed with the mileage thereof (33-34). Would you that have late model Civic hybrids comment on your mileage experienced - would appreciat
it.
2007 Hybrid Civic with low miles on it and all tanks averaging over 42MPG. Combo city and hwy miles. Recording each tank and miles driven.
Suggestions to consider: - Carrying extra weight in the car you don't need? - Maileage change AC on or off? - Engine well tuned? Air filter OK - IMA batteries OK? - Tires properly inflated?
Might ask your dealer for suggestions as well.

2007 Civic Hy. avg just over 42 mpg city only..... take a look here
http://www.greenhybrid.com /

Our '04 Civic hybrid (58K miles) is averaging 43 mpg (approx. 50% Hwy, 50% city)...

That's about the same as my ancient '83 Civic FE...
JT
Spazpop2000 wrote:

Yeah, is your 83 one of the 2 cleanest cars sold in the US & oh, yeah, does it have all the modern amenities of a 07? you know, air bags, anti lock brakes cvt transmission, automatic air conditioning?.....yeah it is green to drive a car till it drops but, 25 years is a long time to be without technology. BTW, my "best" mileage has been in the mid 70's for about 50 miles, heck, I have even sustained 150 for a couple of miles.

the point is, an average car back in 1983 got the same mileage as what it takes a SPECIALLY DESIGNED car to get today.
That's called moving backwards.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Yep, especially when all the new fangled gadgets start going belly up...
<G>
JT

The special design is called a larger displacement engine.

No, that special design is called a hybrid.
Elle wrote:

Yep in combination with heavier vehicle weight.
JT
(Lean 'n mean is best!)

Indeed. I forgot that your 1983 Honda is much lighter as well as having a smaller engine. I think my 1.5L 1991 Civic is similar in weight to modern Civics, though. Little aside: I have been driving my Civic in a much hotter part of the country (Arizona) the last few months, with more city driving, and mileage is definitely down, but not by too much. Say from 42 mpg to 39 mpg. I am pretty sure the gasoline is mostly unmodified here (e.g. rarely ethanol stations).
Well, I don't know if I'd go so far as to call the Civic FE the "average" car of 1983; I'm betting that most cars of that year (era) weighed more, had a larger displacement engine, seated/hauled more people/cargo...
Even if you were to narrow down your field of vehicles (like big gov does when applying the CAFE regulations), the FE wasn't even the "average" Civic in 1983, was it? Seems to me (and I could be wrong on this, so forgive me if I am), the FE stands for "Fuel Efficient", which means it had to have SOME concessions with regard to the "average" Civic (smaller engine, smaller wheels, narrower tires, lack of some amenities for weight savings, etc.).
I'm not knocking your car, just validating your argument. The FE was the 80s attempt at obtaining better fuel efficiency. The hybrids of today are approaching the same problem from a different perspective. The important thing to remember is that, whether you agree with one particular approach or not, the *effort* to improve mileage is to be commended, not slammed.
If you really want to start a bragging war- I ride my bike to/from the grocery store= INFINITY mpg (and bikes were invented long before the FE)...
On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 16:04:39 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"

Spazpop2000 wrote:

The FE weighed more than the Civic DX (Higher trim level)

Actually, the FE sported the same features of the 1500 SI including tach, extar insulation, 13" wheels etc. but had the 1300 engine instead. I have an '82 Civic four speed as well and that was a very basic car. The FE is two trim levels higher.
Yes, the 1300 engine was rehashed for '82/83 for the FE and was the forunner of the 1300 CRX that would follow that boasted very high MPG figures.

The big thing here is that I own the car outright... No banker riding in the back seat. Also, as I stated in a previous post, it is much more user friendly when it comes to maintenance and repair. Right now the car has less than 120K and these were 300K vehicles provided they were maintained properly.
This may well be my last car so long nobody whacks it..
JT

My starts up every time, goes where I point it and is comfortable enough for me.
All that other stuff you mentioned is just making something idiot proof (at great cost) which simply encourages the production of more idiots.
Oh, and the FE gets a consistent 50+ mph on the highway.
Lastly, it is a car that I still can maintain and repair when necessary which isn't often. And, it's paid for...
JT
Justbob30 wrote:

We all measure backwards differently, If you are happy with your 83 more power to you.

Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

what does it weigh?

jim beam wrote:

Just under a ton dripping wet...
<G>
JT

I record the mileage with every tank. It gets better in the Fall and Spring.
jeeeeeez - sure would be nice to get some answers to the question posed - what's with you jerks?
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 06:38:38 -0600, Gary Gorbet