hydrolock 01 integra gsr

Ok few days ago at night I got stuck in a flooded area and now I have some water in my engine. I had the car towed home and the next day I took out the spark plugs and sucked out the water from each cylinders. The first two cylinders had some water but the last two didn't. From someone advice from some newsgroup on the internet I sprayed some intake cleaner fluid in each cylinder. The next day I check and there was still some intake cleaner fluid in the cylinders. So I sucked it out again and drained everything. I then realized that I forgot to check the intake so when I took out the intake hose there was bunch of water. So I drained that and used some intake cleaner to clean that out as well. I changed out the old spark plugs and the car still won't start. When I go to crank it, it sounds like the way the car cranks when you have a dead battery. So I tried to get a jump and still no luck. Any ideas before I call my insurance?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
googamooga

googamooga wrote in news:6dba68bc-b866-4bac-b9cd- snipped-for-privacy@34g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

Bet your ECM is toast, as will be the rest of the electrical system. Did the water go above the door sills in the interior?

Reply to
Tegger

Water didn't get in the compartment, I think due to the good seal I have round the door but the water was up to the middle of the bumper. Now when I turn the key all the lights on the dash come on, but just won't crank over.

Reply to
googamooga

googamooga wrote in news:4c2184f8-0895-4d54-8ae8- snipped-for-privacy@2g2000hsn.googlegroups.com:

You're saying the starter turns the engine over really slowly?

Does the Check Engine light come on for two seconds when the key is first turned to "II" then go off again?

Reply to
Tegger

Yes, it come on for 2 seconds and then goes off, but the SRS light on the top right stays on for 5 seconds then goes off, not sure if that has any value.

Reply to
googamooga

if it's simply hydrolock, simply remove the plugs, crank the motor, and let everything shoot out of the plug hole. keep a fire extinguisher handy in case of gasoline discharge. then clean and dry the plugs and she should start. if so, then change the oil as it will probably have water in it.

check for the other electrical problem mentioned by tegger after you've eliminated the hydrolock condition.

Reply to
jim beam

Jim it won't crank over, plus I have already sucked the water out from the motor. Far as the electrical, not sure where to start or how to do it. When the car died, I had the vent on, and then I could smell some air with gasoline mix, not sure if that is a hint for a blown gasket of some sort.

Reply to
googamooga

/without/ the plugs? if you put the plugs back in and there's still fluid, you'll still get lock.

seldom good enough. besides, cranking without plugs and expelling fluid that way is highly entertaining.

so, you got hydrolock when the engine was running? that could be very expensive! look for bent rods or a broken crank.

Reply to
jim beam

yea thats what I am afraid of

Reply to
googamooga

it might have helped diagnosis if you'd mentioned the small but important bit about the engine running earlier...

Reply to
jim beam

yea time for the mechanic

Reply to
googamooga

Ok today I jacked my car up and found some oil leaking, after some careful inspection there are chunks of the engine missing, looks like a rod or something broke out. yea time to call a real mechanic.

Reply to
googamooga

googamooga wrote in news:cb948e4e-fed9-42f7-a6da- snipped-for-privacy@e39g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

I'll bet that if the water got high enough to get into your intake it also got into the distributor and shorted that out too.

This is ultimately a "flood salvage" vehicle. It has automotive typhoid at this point. If it were me, I'd take as much from the insurance as I could negotiate and walk away from it.

Reply to
Tegger

let me guess - you had an after-market "cold air" intake?

Reply to
jim beam

That's sad. Let us know how the repair process goes. I would particularly be interested if you end up buying a lightly used Japanese engine which seems like the best option from what I read here.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

Maybe, but when I see "hydrolock" my first thought is broken pieces.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

The damage is pending investigation by insurance company.

The cabin of the car is dry, water didn't get high to reach the distributor but then again I didn't check. I don't think the insurance will consider this a flood salvage, since the value to repair the engine, or even to get a new engine, would be far less than what the car is worth, but then again they can always pull out some kinda formula to screw me over. If they do I will probably get a used engine, heck if the price is right maybe even a Type-R engine.

Reply to
googamooga

OK update on my car, turns out I really messed up the pistons, it made a huge hole right above the oil pan. Now I will need a new engine, and my insurance will pay for it. Not bad considering I was due for a new timing belt, that would of cost me close to $2000, but for $500 I get a used engine.

The agent told me I was lucky the water didn't get in the cabin, if it had they would of had to give me a check instead of repairing it.

Lesson to be learned, don't get a friggin Cold Air Intake, not worth it.

Reply to
googamooga