I broke off my Oxygen sensor

Page 4 of 4
aarcuda69062 wrote:

On the other hand I DID look at the pictures and the piece he has left in the manifold should not leak. It's broke off almost flush with the edge. The O2 sensor does not have a hold in the center like a lifesaver. The boss for the sensor is thicker, but I believe the casting has enough for holding a sensor. It's a crap shoot maybe. A person could drill a 3/16 test hole to see how thick it is there and make the decision to go forward or not and plug the hole. Believe it or not, O2 sensors are moved around on the manifold like this at times.
In article

Look again. I can clearly see the zirconia 'thimble' that is exposed inside the louvered sensor tip.

Indeed. What reliable method would he use to plug a hole in cast iron?

Haven't seen it in over 36 years. In a pipe, yes, but not in a manifold.
Wow, that can be a tuff one.
My first choice; ox-ace heat, followed by the wrench Another option that was said to me was try to tighten first, then back out. This tip was from a old master tech that teaches tech courses. Now I tried it once and it didn't work for me, but we still try (I think I used heat on that one.) He also said ATf is a good penetrate. get the part hot and pun some on it and let it set overnight, the dissipating heat will wick it into the threads. I also have in my box a tap that is the 02 sensor size, wasn't easy to find, but I ordered it before I needed it. There also is an heli-coil set for thread repairs, sometimes they screw themselves up on the way out If you remove the manifold you could carry it to a vise or a machine shop. Heat is always the best choice.
--
Stephen W. Hansen
ASE Certified Master Automobile Technician
Stephen H wrote:

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel