i have no idea what im doing...

Page 1 of 2
hello. im in grade 10 and my science class is doing a study on catalytic converters... I have nothing on the subject so far because most websites on
the internet give prices and how much a new catalytic converter would cost... but that is not what Im looking for... I would highly appreciate it if any one knew any thing on around what time should you replace a catalytic converter in a car... should you replace it according to the warrenty... or keep the original cat. till it dies? also id b extremely greatful if any one knows any thing about how a catalytic converter actually works... I've read different things of how it works... but nothing ive read has been consistent in the information... so if any of you know how a cat. works then post it and let me know...
thanks... clueless teen....

www.google.com
--
"All my friends can't be wrong!"
Remember, stupidity runs in herds.
Dr.Maggot wrote:

hey dr. maggot... can you be more spacific wen u say google.com... what key words should i use?

Try "catalytic converter?"
--
"All my friends can't be wrong!"
Remember, stupidity runs in herds.
Dr.Maggot wrote:

i did that already... all that comes up is prices of different models of cars catalytic converters are...
clueless_teen via CarKB.com wrote:

I'm with you... searching for any kind of useful info on car parts on sites like Google is a nightmare with all the farking parts-stores ads that make up 90% of the hits.
I Googled "catalytic converter how it works" and the first hit that came up was http://auto.howstuffworks.com/catalytic-converter.htm .
Another useful link that came up: http://autorepair.about.com/cs/generalinfo/a/aa080401a_2.htm
Virus Database (VPS): 0542-3, 10/19/2005
The key to getting information from the internet is to home in on the key words that identify your subject. You had a good start but then you found you needed to narrow it a bit.
Google for the following:
"catalytic converter" "how does"
Do not omit the quotation marks.

Elle wrote:

thanks elle... im sure it will come in handy... ill let u know wat i get on my assignment later on lol

Hey, kiddo, I forgot you noted that the sites you did look at had inconsistent information. Well that in itself should be of interest to someone who reads your report. Maybe indicate how many sites said the CC works this way; how many said that way. Ultimately, write that you didn't find a consensus on this aspect, but you did on that one. That's what someone reading your report might like to know.
Don't let it overwhelm you. You can't get every detail into your report, because you aren't a multi-degreed engineer and/or 20-year experienced technician, anyway. Make it general. Put it in your own words. Cite your sources. Compare and contrast, say, "how a CC works" sites! That might be interesting.
Elle wrote:

thanks alot for the ideas... just dont call me kiddo lol its kinda degrating.. . but yeah my essay is only supposed to b around 500-700 words long... so your right... i shouldn't try to kill myself by gettin all the details into a little formal essay... so thanks alot for the ideas... lol ill still let u knwo wat i got on my assignment wen i get it back tho... lol to c if ur suggestions were any help lol

You'd rather be known as "clueless teen"??
Well, okay...

Just remember to cite me as "Curmudgeonly Elle" and Tegger as "I-Give-People-Fish Tegger."
;-)
Elle Now get off this newsgroup, summarize those web sites, and post your report here before submission. Do NOT forget to provide your sources, luv. One is nothing without integrity.
Elle wrote:

wat? i dont get it? wat do u want me to do?

Get to work.
Also, do a second google, including the words "warranty" and "federal" . At the end of the report, list all the web sites you used. Those are your sources.
You don't want to run down to a dealership and actually //put your hands on// one of these puppies then haul it into class?! For 2% of my grade, I'd do it.
Elle You have inspired me to start on my camshaft holder seal replacement job. I am researching placement of the #1 cylinder in TDC compression position now.
Elle wrote:

im gonna get to work now but i was wondering if u knew wat a honeycomb and a ceramic bead do in a catalytic converter? wat is its significants?
wrote

His butchered pseudo-English is a clue as to why adults have a low opinion of teenagers.

I gave him more fish in another message. but this is the LAST one!
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

:-)
I did like those keywords for the honeycomb search.
Maybe that's the only way to teach people how to refine net searches: Give them enough examples, and they get an idea of how to separate the "key word wheat" from the "empty word chaff."

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/catalytic-converter.htm
Have fun.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
TeGGeR wrote:

point in our information... thanks for atleast tryin to help...

Then why didn't you just Google for more? Everything's there, at your fingertips.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

I give him/er a lesson in how to fish, and you just give him the fish!?
I bet you're a proponent of the welfare state, too!
;-)
Hey, kiddo (the teenager, not you, Tegger), call up a few service shops at dealerships and ask them if they have any old, used (failed) catalytic converters laying around and if you can have one.
Cut that puppy open. Identify and label its internals. Props are everything.
Elle Procrastinating re the big camshaft holder seal replacement job. Tomorrow morning, baby...