i have no idea what im doing...

hello. im in grade 10 and my science class is doing a study on catalytic converters... I have nothing on the subject so far because most websites on the internet give prices and how much a new catalytic converter would cost... but that is not what Im looking for... I would highly appreciate it if any one knew any thing on around what time should you replace a catalytic converter in a car... should you replace it according to the warrenty... or keep the original cat. till it dies? also id b extremely greatful if any one knows any thing about how a catalytic converter actually works... I've read different things of how it works... but nothing ive read has been consistent in the information... so if any of you know how a cat. works then post it and let me know...

thanks... clueless teen....

Reply to
clueless_teen via CarKB.com

"clueless_teen via CarKB.com" wrote in news:56169648fc184@uwe:

Dr.Maggot

The key to getting information from the internet is to home in on the key words that identify your subject. You had a good start but then you found you needed to narrow it a bit.

Google for the following:

"catalytic converter" "how does"

Do not omit the quotation marks.

"clueless_teen via CarKB.com" wrote

Reply to
Elle

thanks elle... im sure it will come in handy... ill let u know wat i get on my assignment later on lol

Reply to
clueless_teen via CarKB.com

hey dr. maggot... can you be more spacific wen u say google.com... what key words should i use?

Reply to
clueless_teen via CarKB.com

Hey, kiddo, I forgot you noted that the sites you did look at had inconsistent information. Well that in itself should be of interest to someone who reads your report. Maybe indicate how many sites said the CC works this way; how many said that way. Ultimately, write that you didn't find a consensus on this aspect, but you did on that one. That's what someone reading your report might like to know.

Don't let it overwhelm you. You can't get every detail into your report, because you aren't a multi-degreed engineer and/or 20-year experienced technician, anyway. Make it general. Put it in your own words. Cite your sources. Compare and contrast, say, "how a CC works" sites! That might be interesting.

Reply to
Elle

"clueless_teen via CarKB.com" wrote in news:56169648fc184@uwe:

Have fun.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

thanks alot for the ideas... just dont call me kiddo lol its kinda degrating.. . but yeah my essay is only supposed to b around 500-700 words long... so your right... i shouldn't try to kill myself by gettin all the details into a little formal essay... so thanks alot for the ideas... lol ill still let u knwo wat i got on my assignment wen i get it back tho... lol to c if ur suggestions were any help lol

Reply to
clueless_teen via CarKB.com

oh i will have fun... but my teacher already gave us that site as a starting point in our information... thanks for atleast tryin to help...

Reply to
clueless_teen via CarKB.com

"TeGGeR®" wrote

I give him/er a lesson in how to fish, and you just give him the fish!?

I bet you're a proponent of the welfare state, too!

;-)

Hey, kiddo (the teenager, not you, Tegger), call up a few service shops at dealerships and ask them if they have any old, used (failed) catalytic converters laying around and if you can have one.

Cut that puppy open. Identify and label its internals. Props are everything.

Elle Procrastinating re the big camshaft holder seal replacement job. Tomorrow morning, baby...

Reply to
Elle

You'd rather be known as "clueless teen"??

Well, okay...

Just remember to cite me as "Curmudgeonly Elle" and Tegger as "I-Give-People-Fish Tegger."

;-)

Elle Now get off this newsgroup, summarize those web sites, and post your report here before submission. Do NOT forget to provide your sources, luv. One is nothing without integrity.

Reply to
Elle

ok then... yeah elle im not gonna go get a catalytic converter just for an essay... its only worth 2% of my final grade... so im not too keen on doing all that just for a crap ass mark i was gonna get anyways lol

Reply to
clueless_teen via CarKB.com

wat? i dont get it? wat do u want me to do?

Reply to
clueless_teen via CarKB.com

A good site for that information ob how things work is

Just enter catalytic converter in the search.

Reply to
Woody

"clueless_teen via CarKB.com" wrote in news:5616e8aa923ce@uwe:

Try "catalytic converter?"

Reply to
Dr.Maggot

hey Elle... wat does the Honeycomb and the ceramic beads in a cat. do exactly...?

Reply to
clueless_teen via CarKB.com

Get to work.

Also, do a second google, including the words "warranty" and "federal" . At the end of the report, list all the web sites you used. Those are your sources.

You don't want to run down to a dealership and actually //put your hands on// one of these puppies then haul it into class?! For 2% of my grade, I'd do it.

Elle You have inspired me to start on my camshaft holder seal replacement job. I am researching placement of the #1 cylinder in TDC compression position now.

Reply to
Elle

im gonna get to work now but i was wondering if u knew wat a honeycomb and a ceramic bead do in a catalytic converter? wat is its significants?

Reply to
clueless_teen via CarKB.com

i did that already... all that comes up is prices of different models of cars catalytic converters are...

Reply to
clueless_teen via CarKB.com

"clueless_teen via CarKB.com" wrote

You know why you were given this assignment? In no particular order, to teach you:

  1. how to teach yourself.
  2. how to assimilate ideas all on the same topic into a few coherent paragraphs.
  3. some science, so you can grow up and get a big bucks paying technical job, which will allow you to play more football, field hockey, or chess, go to the opera, or spend more time flirting with the opposite sex (or with whomever you kids--oops, excuse me, I meant "clueless teens"--flirt these days).
  4. how to save some serious money when a dealership tries to rip you off and make you pay when in fact your bazillion horsepower red Ford Mustang cat converter is covered by the //federal warranty// on emissions devices. Said serious money will assist you in pursuing the aforementioned leisurely activities. (Use protection!)

Cripes while I was writing this, I almost nailed how to get #1 cylinder at TDC compression, via a groups.googl search. I'm that good...

Reply to
Elle