I have replaced the CRV TPS 3xs

I have a 99 CRV and the codes PO122 TPS..which is connected to the Throttle body, great!! a whole T body is around $600.00. So I go on line and find several second hand part dealers for a fraction of the cost..the problem is that I have put on 3 plus my own and they all read low input (one was just all over the place)??? Could this be a wiring/electrical-connectors problem that the diagnostics @ the local shop can not determine? should I go to the dealer?? & where is this rplacement fuse to reset the memory, indeed if the PCM needs to be reset from memory?/ Is it the radio/backup fuse?? I am out of answers..how about taking the rivets out and replacing the TPS w/ another sensor..calibration might be (A PROBLEM) only preformed @ the dealership..I am thinking?? Feedback is greatly appreciated!

Reply to
dschez

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:1173308887.892643.312640 @q40g2000cwq.googlegroups.com:

Have you bothered checking any of the voltages for the TPS wires? Do you get 5V at the feed wire? What's your voltage range (full-closed to full-open) on the variable wire?

Any pinched wires anywhere? Corroded connectors?

Vehicle ever been in a frontal collision?

What's your battery's state-of-charge?

When did this start, and are there any other sym,ptoms other than the P-ZERO-122 error?

Reply to
Tegger

NO I have not checked any of the voltages, I am aware that I must have a certain meter/devise (voltmeter??) in order to assess that properly..possibly the dealership, however I am afraid they are going to hit me w/ a new Throttle Body? maybe someone that handles imports in my area?

No infraction in the wiring that I or my mechanic has noticed, but I might need to follow the electrical wiring harness more thoroughly (to the back of intake manifold etc.)..ALSO everytime my mechanic change each one (T body), he did not disconnect the neg. battery cable?? don't know if this a factor (memory)???

no collision that I know of? and the batt. chg seems ok but I have not ck it to see if it has a certain voltage output? is there a certain chg. that should be established that would affect the TPS if the car seems to be running @/about full/good chg. (radio, dash, lights, interior & exterior seem to be OK??? )

It started about 2.5wks ago when the ck engine light came on and transmission. was dragging some, not switching timely...I got the code that indicated PCM malfunction low-voltage Pzero 122 from autozone and then went to my mechanic, and clearedit. I did a transmission flush and then shortly after that (5-6days) it came back w/ the transmission not switching gears properly, they were not switching from 2-3-4 properly, alittle @ first and then it got progressively worst and each one I replaced was worst then my orginal it seemed?? the one I have know is alittle better than the last, but not much!

Some of the voltage ranges have been very little to very very slow to progress w/ full throttle??

Could the 3 that I got used all be bad?? or is there another issue...I do think alot of points you mentioned are good self- diagnostic measures to try an establish before I go any further..but what next?? could the PCM have a problem? how can someone determined that? might one have to ck the service connectors w/ a jumper wire?? eeeeek do I want to do this?? or will a dealer/honda authorized shop be a better choice..will they give it to me straight??? THX!!

Reply to
dschez

ok, let's be clear - whatever you've replaced 3 of, it's not the throttle position sensor [tps]. because to do that, you'd have to remove the "rivets" [which are actually shear head bolts].

so, whatever it is that you /are/ doing, is not fixing the problem so stop doing it! start testing to find the real problem. you'll need a multimeter and some plug tools to check all the circuitry.

Reply to
jim beam

YES I replaced 3 throttle body parts-which inturn is the replacement of the TPS. The code is coming up TPS low input.

Yes I can take out the rivets but honda has made it where it is one unit, throttle body-w/ TPS on the body so unless I can find a way to get a working sensor w/out the body???which honda does not make. I'll end up paying for the whole part. I CAN GET THE bolts off..it is actually just a shear head screw..screws right in, but the TPS does not come separate unless you know of an after market sensor that will fit and not have to be calibrated i am not going to able to fix it that way.

I am leaning toward the fact that I have replaced it 3x and it is still malfunctioning-low voltage readings, so testing the electrical components is where I will go next, THX!

Reply to
dschez

i don't understand. first you say you replaced "3 throttle body parts", whatever parts they may be, then you say you didn't because of the calibration issue. maybe you replaced the whole throttle body 3 times, but given your bitching about price i doubt that too. you're not making any sense.

bottom line, you posted here before, you were told what to do, and now here you are again months later saying you don't want to do it. maybe you'll do it if you pay someone to give you that advice instead? i charge $200 per hour, minimum 4 hours. $2,000 per hour if you want to argue about it. or go to the dealer like you should have done ages ago if you don't have the skill/tools/inclination to do the job yourself.

Reply to
jim beam

"maybe you replaced the whole throttle body 3 times" >>>>>>give the boy a cookie!!

ASSHOLE this was my first day on this site!!

"bottom line, you posted here before",.NEVER have I been on here before,so ck yourself before u make foolish statements.

Dumbass I bought the whole throttle body used online more than once, (READ THE POST) sent it back for full refund, order another (some other place) & then they sent out a 2nd one @ the other parts place...the TPS in on the part...so before you get on here to give anyone else advise..grab urself for a ck! grow up! no one wants your smartass comments! if you don't have anything useful to say shut-up... $ 200 hr HAHAHA!!! toot ur on horn-nobody cares!

THX to the ones that gave good grounded information that I can trouble shoot!!

Reply to
dschez

have it your way dude. you've just closed the door on one of the few people here that has experience on resolving this exact problem.

Reply to
jim beam

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@q40g2000cwq.googlegroups.com:

They certainly would "give it straight" more cheaply than you did buying three throttle bodies.

Sorry to say, but you are out of your element here. You have done everything as wrongly as you could possibly have done, and showed the worst possible judgement you could have.

If you do not possess a multimeter (or even know what one is), then you are not qualified to tackle diagnosis or repair of this problem.

And if your mechanic did all this work without disconnecting the battery negative cable, then he is STUPID and INCOMPETENT. He has likely damaged other things with his butchery.

To check the TPS is simplicity itself. You backprobe the three wires one by one and make sure you get a steady +5V and one, almost nothing at the second, and a smoothly variable voltage from about .3V to about 4.5V at the third. If you get these results, the TPS is FINE and you need to look elsewhere for the source of the problem.

P0122 has nothing to do with the transmission. AZ's text descriptions are usually wrong.

You have NO idea if the battery is fully charged unless you use a multimeter and the correct checking procedure. 12V is NOT "fully charged".

Take this thing to the dealer, and be prepared for being scolded (and impoverished) for having damaged lots of other stuff in your misguided attempts at uninformed repair.

Finally, jim beam has some good advice to offer here. If this is your first time in this group and you are cavalier enough to insult him, that's your loss. When you're new, you should act politely until you know what's going on.

Reply to
Tegger

innews: snipped-for-privacy@q40g2000cwq.googlegroups.com:

Yeah, maybe I was alittle testy, but individuals come to the site to display their concerns whether skilled/unskilled & do not expect talented people to mistreat them on basic info. that is being sketched- out & attainable/already posted.

"and you are cavalier enough to insult him" door swings bothways. (I realize he is not interested in my advice)

Facts are seems as JB does have some skillsets..(just ckd momentarily, don't know if it is all bike related, but it does seem from the profile,that there is abundance of talent there?/) constructive info. from this individual might have been helpful,but....

The $ was not that much online, the fact that they were used parts, is the problem. The mechanic, which is very skilled, has acted erroneously by not disconnecting the neg. batt.-not sure of his thinking, but not thinking it was a major issue w/ other electrical components is my best guess? why?? don't know? i'll ask. Hope that does not burn me.

"but you are out of your element here".Yes this is a complex issue for individuals that don't know where to look/have the skillset to start the process..I agree w/ that statement.

"You have done everything as wrongly as you could possibly have done." That I left the mechanical apptitude in the hands of someone I trust concerning automotives, no I do not think that was wrong, but my honda may suffer for it, possibly.

"showed the worst possible judgement you could have." By purchasing 3 throttle bodies, returning one for refund & still have two for the $ of one????..no.YES I should address other issues now. Worst judgement- no thats why I came here. Statements concerning assistance on this matter...I covered that...I agree

I will try aother & other mechanics/resistance measures/voltage.

Reply to
dschez

On 3/8/2007 12:25 AM jim beam spake these words of knowledge:

quoted text -

Jim,

you do tend to assume a lot in your statements and replies; doesn't bother me personally, but you should take the time to remember that some are noobs to the diagnostic game, some are noobs to usenet, and some are just noobs.

You might wanna give 'em a break. Or not.

RFT!!! Dave Kelsen

Reply to
Dave Kelsen

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@n33g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

This isn't a "site". It's Usenet.

You sure don't. Why don't you try just quietly lurking here for a while to find out who knows what. THEN spout off.

Nobody here has a "profile", except those who see these messages through their Web browser and think it's a message board.

...but you were too quick on the draw, and not at all mindful of your place as a newbie among the cognoscenti. Children should be seen and not heard.

Grow a thicker skin while you're at it. How many times do you want to cut off your nose to spite your face?

Reply to
Tegger

innews: snipped-for-privacy@n33g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Why don't you try just quietly lurking here... I am not hear to hangout, trying to establish some value in some CRV issues..thats it..that all

This isn't a "site". It's Usenet. LETS not get to technical???

Nobody here has a "profile", except those who see these messages through

YES they have one if they choose to write one, otherwise you can see others activity and make an opinion about skills & knowledge, to some degree.

Your child comment is noted as simpleminded

Grow a thicker skin while you're at it. How many times do you want to

Not sure where u are headed w/ that?? I did not say anything unwarranted, I was just trying to gather some info.

Reply to
dschez

Did I accidentally turn to Oprah or is this still a car board?

Reply to
lkreh

More like Joe and the Volcano. The sacred gurus on high have been offended, and now someone has to be sacrificed into the volcano to appease them.

Reply to
E Meyer

E Meyer wrote in news:C217445D.20711% snipped-for-privacy@msn.com:

But is the OP a virgin? If he is not, the volcano gods will be angry and will wreak havoc, taxes and municipal zoning laws upon the world.

OP has been given by me the very best advice I can give; I have not withheld anything and have no more to offer. jim beam on the other hand, does have more to offer, but has his nose out of joint on account of OP's insubordination and has clammed up (note to self: clams do not have noses).

Now, how can we bring these two combatants together in a spirit of love and reconciliation? Do we need to involve female elementary schoolteachers, or can we do this on our own?

Reply to
Tegger