I'm #2 !!! Most stolen car

Page 3 of 3

but when the interior and trim(plastics) begins degrading,and the car has a million rattles and squeaks,then it's nice to get a new car. you folks up North don't have the intense sun degradation we have in the southern US. OTOH,you have salted roads in the winter.... (although living near the seacoast also corrodes autos.)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Cold weather does have its advantages. Interior is perfect outside of sun fading and localized salt deposits in the carpets.

My own ears are very poor and unreliable. One of them does not work, the other has a hearing aid stuck in it. For these reasons I cannot tell what rattles/squeaks my car has or where they come from if present.
My wife, whose hearing is thankfully impeccable, tells me my car has no rattles or squeaks of any kind, which I find kind of astonishing. There is plenty of mechanical noise, but no rattles or squeaks. Well, there is just one sort of a sizzle noise that occasionally comes from the driver's seat belt upper mount, but that goes away if you put the belt on or push on the rear quarter trim with your hand.

New car: Air bags galore Side air bag OPDS OBD-II Intrusive EVAP system P0420 Two oxygen sensors Everything electronic Even more plastic than I've got.
Old car: You need to ask?
No thanks. I'll just live with the old-car foibles. Yes, old cars can be annoying, but new cars contain a fright factor I don't care to get involved with just now.
Treat the old girl like the old girl she is and you'll be fine. I can't afford to peel rubber at every stoplight like I used to any more, but then again I'm not 29 years old any more either...

Salted roads are worse than a crumbly, sagging headliner and cracked dash. Believe me.

I have a pic somewhere I took two summers ago of a chain link fence at Redondo Beach. The side facing the ocean is corroded to holes. The other side still has the zinc coating on it. Amazing.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Jim Yanik wrote:

Ahhh, but I'm in the Austin, TX area and summer heat is hard on interiors. But, the '83 still has a perfect dash and the '82 could be an easy repair. The seats are another story though..
JT

But I'll bet /you/ don't have two feet of snow on your deck...
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

No, but I have some nice pix of snows that I had to deal with back in New England... Never Again!
JT
On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 03:13:01 GMT, Grumpy AuContraire

Can I just do that? My 91's roof does lack something in shinyness and, well, consistency. I thought about having a paint job done but it's expensive and if I were going to spend that amount ($700 or so I think) I'd rather look into having the shocks done. But spray paint, that I can handle.
Now that I think about it, there is some sort of paint sprayer in the garage. I'll have to open the box and see what it is.
dgk wrote:

Just go down to Harbor Freight for the gun/compressor and eBay for cheap single stage paint.
JT

there's always Earl Schieib(sp?) and similar places.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Scheib.
We have them up here too, and they're as shitty as yours.
I swear they use Crayola watercolor paints.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Jim Yanik wrote:

Probably the best is MAACO but you gotta watch 'em... They'll add on addons if you don't. Oh, and you do the prep to make sure that part is done right.
JT

C. E. White wrote:

Well, since the demographic interested in those cars is the under 20 lot then the intelligence of the thieves can explain itself - ever see a kid with the oversized baseball cap, moon boot running shoes, puffy jacket and size 50 pants look like anything other than a moron? So stealing a 17 year old car would seem like a good idea.

just because the car is old doesn't mean it's parts are not worth stealing,to the dishonest.
Thieves went to the trouble of stealing the plastic "Acura" and "GS-R" badges from my 94 GS-R. $60 bucks at the dealers.I didn't replace them. Personally,I would rather cars not have such badges;they are a PITA to wax around.I like the "no chrome" look,too.
Then they took the ECU;$800 and 6 weeks wait. Then they took the whole car. 3 weeks to get paid for the total loss.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Few years back had my OEM radio stolen. Had to have a resale value of $5. Broke a window to get it, cost me $50 to replace. Dumbshit economics. Never did replace the radio before I sold the car.
J.
Yep, that car is worth more in pieces now, than as a driver.
dgk wrote:

http://www.newsday.com/services/newspaper/printedition/wednesday/longisland/ny-licars125496908dec12,0,7892563.story
-- Tp,
No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...