i set up the timing and now it will start but wont idle

i set up the timing exactly the way the book tells me but i start my car and it wont stay idleing i can rev it and it will run but it just wont idle so i dont know where to start one of my friends says that it might be the screw in the distributor but i have no idea where to start

Reply to
true_playa via CarKB.com

"true_playa via CarKB.com" wrote in news:631093964d74b@uwe:

And the year and model of Honda you have is......?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

you shorted out the timing adjust connector when setting timing, correct? and the cam timing's definitely correct? if so, and you've done nothing else that could cause this problem since the car last worked properly, proceed to setting the idle speed. disconnect the eacv, then adjust the idle screw on the throttle body. set it for the specified rpm, [750 on my civic], then reconnect the eacv.

Reply to
jim beam

Reply to
true_playa via CarKB.com

i remember - you needed to tighten the timing belt. adjusting idle really is last resort here dude. once basic setting is made, it's all computer controlled so it shouldn't have to be touched during the life of the car. double, triple, quadruple check everything to ba absolutely certain before adjusting idle. sorry to labor the point, but if the belt's been done, it's really quite easy to be a tooth out. that'll account for your idle problems much better than the throttle body suddenly being out where it wasn't before. it'll make for different ignition timing too - another idle factor.

Reply to
jim beam

Your symptoms sound suspiciously like a vacuum leak or loose/misplaced vacuum hose...

Reply to
Matt Ion

Reply to
true_playa via CarKB.com

is it bad to run an open header? once i get it running i have to take it to the exhaust shop to get all exhaust ran bakc is it bad to run it with an open header

Reply to
true_playa via CarKB.com

NAW, just carry lots of fire extinguishers...

Reply to
Woody