Ignition delay problem, 98 CRV

I have a 98 Honda CRV which I very much enjoy. When I turn the ignition key there is a significant delay between turning the key and the starter kicking in.

All the panel lights up as expect, just the actual starting is delayed.

Sometimes it takes 4-5 seconds. Only happens once in a while but seems to be getting more frequent.

I just had the ignition switch replaced as part of a Honda recall so that wasn't the problem.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Reply to
Joe

damn

My son had a CRX that was doing the same thing it was a bad ground cable off the battery, we also replaced the ground cable that attaches to the radiator support to the engine.

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

Tom, I will look into this. Thanks

twfsa wrote:

Reply to
Joe

Joe wrote in news:tvVGf.984$s36.170@edtnps89:

I had to rebuild the starter solenoid on my 94 Integra;when I turned the key,I would get "click-click-click" like the battery was dead,but with a new battery,and after several tries,the motor would crank and start immediately. The solenoid contacts were worn down to half original thickness at the contact area. My starter was a Denso model that was supposed to be a "replace-only" repair,but I found a site for new contacts and plunger for $30. Getting the bottom starter bolt off was a bitch;it's a LONG bolt,and hard to access with a wrench.Replacing the contacts and plunger was EASY after that!

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I've checked the battery, it indicates it's ok. The cables all look ok. Just every once in a while (maybe 1 in 20-30 starts) there's that delay. No sound, no click-click. In fact it is much like when you try to start it with the clutch not pushed in (there's a safety switch to prevent starts with the clutch engaged). The starter just won't go until after waiting for about 1-4 seconds and then it kicks in without any problem.

Someone out there must have seen the same issue but I've searched the newsgroups and the web without any luck.

Jim Yanik wrote: > I had to rebuild the starter solenoid on my 94 Integra;when I turned the > key,I would get "click-click-click" like the battery was dead,but with a > new battery,and after several tries,the motor would crank and start > immediately. The solenoid contacts were worn down to half original > thickness at the contact area. My starter was a Denso model that was > supposed to be a "replace-only" repair,but I found a site for new contacts > and plunger for $30. Getting the bottom starter bolt off was a bitch;it's a > LONG bolt,and hard to access with a wrench.Replacing the contacts and > plunger was EASY after that! >

Reply to
Joe