Ignition delay problem, 98 CRV

I have a 98 Honda CRV which I very much enjoy. When I turn the ignition key there is a significant delay between turning the key and the starter kicking in.
All the panel lights up as expect, just the actual starting is delayed.
Sometimes it takes 4-5 seconds. Only happens once in a while but seems to be getting more frequent.
I just had the ignition switch replaced as part of a Honda recall so that wasn't the problem.
Ideas?
Thanks!
Battery condition tested? can get a free test from auto zone type stores. Battery cables and ground wire in front of engine all tight and corrosion free? cables on starter clean, tight and corrosion free? could also be a starter solenoid going bad. I have the same vehicle (126k miles) but have not experienced the same problem. How many miles on yours. Has there been any work done to the vehicle just before these symptoms started? What does the dealer say.

My son had a CRX that was doing the same thing it was a bad ground cable off the battery, we also replaced the ground cable that attaches to the radiator support to the engine.
Tom

Tom, I will look into this. Thanks
twfsa wrote:

I have 114,000 Km which is about 68,000 mi. No other signs of electrical trouble although I have smelled some kinda electrical smell from under the hood although very faint and only after it is warmed up. Maybe it's related. Funny how I didn't put two and two together. Duh. The solenoid is also a good possibility. The dealer didn't think it was the battery but I didn't press the issue since there was a recall on the ignition switch and that was the best course of action and the time.
damn wrote:

I had to rebuild the starter solenoid on my 94 Integra;when I turned the key,I would get "click-click-click" like the battery was dead,but with a new battery,and after several tries,the motor would crank and start immediately. The solenoid contacts were worn down to half original thickness at the contact area. My starter was a Denso model that was supposed to be a "replace-only" repair,but I found a site for new contacts and plunger for $30. Getting the bottom starter bolt off was a bitch;it's a LONG bolt,and hard to access with a wrench.Replacing the contacts and plunger was EASY after that!
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik