Ignition key gets stuck in 91 Accord

Vehicle : 1991 Honda Accord 4-door sedan The symptoms: key gets stuck to a degree, depending on the age and wear of the key. My key became stuck for quite a while; I could not turn the car
off, and it was about 1/2 way to the 'start' position. (You could a slight grinding when the car was in Park or Neutral, brake light stayed on - I was finally able to jiggle it into working). With my wife's key, the key doesn't stick, but is a little difficult to turn. In all cases, you pretty much have to move the key back from the 'start' position yourself.
Is this more likely to be the relatively inexpensive cylinder & key set, or the more expensive ignition? I bought the former, but looking at it I notice it depends on something else to return it from the start position, too....
And yes, she does have a heavy key ring, and I'm not much better... :)
Thanks, -- R Flowers

Why don't you try a new key? Take your Valet key to a hardware store and get a new one made from a regular blank. The Valet key is the same as the regular one, just thicker.
If a new key does the same thing, get some PB Blaster or some 3-in-1 oil and spray some in the lock. See if that helps. Don't use graphite lubes. You need something that will creep up the tumblers.
If neither a new key nor oil works, then the lock cylinder is worn out. This is easy to change, believe it or not.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Thank you for the good advice! I'll try it.
-- R Flowers
R Flowers wrote:

sometimes, just using the valet key is necessary - the tumblers wear faster on the narrow lands of the regular key, so even a new key will still not fit right. the valet key will ride on the unworn part of the tumblers and should remain a perfect fit.